Lifetime yoyo dieter

Options
I have yoyo dieted myself as low as 130 and as high as 230. I'm going to die if it doesn't stop. There's just too much information out there that I don't know who or what to trust. I want to lose about a pound a week, slowly and sustainably. Is it true that all I need is a calorie deficit? Do macros matter? At one time I was an extreme dieter losing 5 lbs a week, verging on an eating disorder. Then I swung to the anti diet movement. I don't even know what to believe anymore. I'm just tired of it. I don't want to go crazy starving myself again but I'm carrying 226 pounds on a five foot frame and it hurts. I change plans like I change clothes. Not necessarily because I can't stick to one, but because I don't trust them and keep looking for something better. Currently I'm just trying to keep my calories below 1800 and using the google fitness app to track my exercise, taking 20 to 30 minute walks every day and alternating 20 minute seated strength training (bad foot) with a 10 minute yoga routine every other day. Does any of this sound like I'm on the right track? I've been yoyo dieting for so long, Im just tired of it.

Replies

• JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Misty. I am 52 and have been a yo-yo dieter since I was in high school -- in the 1980's!

Yes: all you need is a calorie deficit. Yes: you should consider a professional nutritionist to advise you along the way (you know like I do that the first week's weight loss is dramatic but is also mostly water and that amount of weight loss won't be sustainable later). Yes: the fitness app is really helpful and even walking is great.

Yes: I know how you feel, sister. I have been up and down the scale my whole life. It is exhausting and a terrible way to feel, and by the time you're middle-aged like me, believe me, the last thing you want is to still be up to the same nonsense. I'll be here for you if you'll be here for me? I joined MFP for the accountability in the first place.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

I don't pay much attention to the macros. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit and lose weight. Go with the calorie deficit mfp allotted you.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Also, if you find a plan that works for YOU, it works, plain and simple. You don't need any fancy expensive shakes or programs. I myself have found that eating a low-carb diet is very beneficial overall, because all my cheat foods are carby and send me tumblin' right off the Healthy Lifestyle Wagon. Other plans work for other people.
  • ranbir013
    ranbir013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey misty, it can be extremely overwhelming but there is a solution. You CAN do it. Shoot me a message
  • wifeofaveteran
    wifeofaveteran Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gained like 25 pounds since June.. I was depressed I had cancer I’m all cleared (survivor) for now.. I don’t know what the heck is wrong with me .. I just want to eat mostly junk and this is not like me at all.. then I keep reading different diets and the new one is the Mediterranean diet .. reading all of them makes me put on more weight.. I really could use some wisdom and advice .. as of today I’m just counting calories and staying at 150 grams of carbs a day and 1400 calories