Exercise and Appetite

Lately, I am finding that I have a large appetite at the end of the day after an exercise session, especially after a squash match. I’ve tried eating a larger lunch earlier in the day and drinking more water to maybe curb the appetite later in the evening but that’s not working. Weight is steady now at 71Kg but want to get down to 68.4Kg, my initial target. Need suggestions on how to tackle the large appetite in the evenings.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Are you using MFP for your calorie deficit?
    If so you are expected to log your exercise and eat back those calories.

If you are using a device, are you eating the extra calories that it is awarding you for exercise?

If you are truly hungry, and have already eaten your exercise cals, make today a maintenance day.

Maybe look at saving some cals for the evening on future workout days if a larger lunch isn’t working.

Cheers, h.
  • aedw1122
    aedw1122 Posts: 8 Member
    I have been there. What i usually do when i crave a certain meals is i took about 1 to 3 spoons of the meal. I do it just to satisfy my tongue. Dont starve yourself though. Make sure you have a good amount of calorie intake in the day before only taking 3 spoons for your dinner. I also drink water at night to satisfy my cravings (sometimes your body can misunderstood thirst for hunger).
    The key is in your mind. Your mind must control your body, not the other way around.
    Hope it helps!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,415 Member
    I go through those phases myself, and sometimes I find it helpful to average my calories over the week rather than using the same deficit all days. If you know you're SUPER hungry on squash days, and you play squash on Wednesday and Saturday, just leave 250 calories off Tuesday and Friday and add them onto your hungry day.

It's one method of many that works. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    I go through those phases myself, and sometimes I find it helpful to average my calories over the week rather than using the same deficit all days. If you know you're SUPER hungry on squash days, and you play squash on Wednesday and Saturday, just leave 250 calories off Tuesday and Friday and add them onto your hungry day.

I find that method works when I am using a TDEE calculator, but when I’m using MFP I need to and log my exercise cals and eat them.

Are you using a linked device, or a TDEE calculator?

Cheers, h.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member

That method can work well for someone who has a consistent exercise routine. In that case, you may be better served by a TDEE calculator as @middlehaitch said.

Using MFP's weekly calorie goal, rather than daily, is also popular. Many people "bank" calories during the week for a bigger meal or two.

However, it's important to know whether OP is eating back their exercise calories or not, or if they are otherwise accounting for exercise, such as with a TDEE calorie calculation. They haven't answered that question, and many people who report feeling ravenous on exercise days turn out to not be eating enough (or any) of their exercise calories.