Runners with back pain

Options
Hello! My name is Brooke and I’m 22 years old. I had spinal back fusion for scoliosis about 10 years ago and I am a long distance runner. Any other runners with back pain/ previous surgeries?
Here for support and would love to hear your story!

Replies

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My spouse gets back pain when walking a lot. I think it is incidental to an auto accident.

So, I'm following this thread out of interest b/c I would like to know how to help someone in this situation.
  • balord1
    balord1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear that, I am in a similar situation with back pain. When I am in a lot of pain I use this great app called sworkit. The app has many different types of stretches & yoga options for back pain!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have blown discs in my lumbar. They don’t always act up(when they do I am flat on the floor for days), but when I have aggravated them I have to remember to stretch. Because I probably have not been. As soon as my hamstrings are tight they pull my pelvis into a bad position, and immediate back pain. So hamstring stretches, walking, and ice are my friends. Usually only takes a few days and my pain is diminished and I can start running slowly again. Focusing on keeping my abs contracted really helps!