Plant Paradox Help

Options
I am reading the book, and the ideas make a lot of sense, but i have tried and failed to stay away from the bad foods list on this diet because it takes time to prepare the right foods. Also, I am having a really hard time staying full. Any tips on how to stay full and save time preparing food on the plant paradox system would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with that book. Most people find some combo of protein, fat, and fiber will keep them full. Can you get enough of those three things eating that way?

What is it that you hope to accomplish by following the book? Is there an easier way to accomplish it? Is it worth what you have to do to accomplish it?

In general, you want to make eating "right" as easy as possible :smiley:
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Hi Jordan! It's good to see you!

You were doing great before. Why don't you just pick up where you left off?
  • JordanS9592
    JordanS9592 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Hi Jordan! It's good to see you!

You were doing great before. Why don't you just pick up where you left off?

Because where I was at before, I was losing weight but I felt tired all the time. I need more energy.
  • JordanS9592
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    That is because it is a restrictive diet with no reality behind it. I mean, anything that says that a food causes "leaky gut" and "leaky brain" obviously is pseudoscience.

Why do you say there is no reality behind it?
  • JordanS9592
    Options
    How much were you losing when you were tired all the time?
    I ask because many people get so excited when they lose a lot easily at first, they undereat to keep the big losses coming. I just wondered if that’s what happened to you. I don’t know, though. Maybe starting a lot of exercise quickly and your body wasn’t as ready for it as your mind was?

I lost 15 pounds in 2 months. I was doing everything right, but I have sleep apnea and no matter how fit I’ve been as an adult, I always seem to be lagging behind others
  • JordanS9592
    edited October 2019
    Options

15 pounds in 2 months is a pretty aggressive deficit. I would imagine that having such a large deficit might contribute to feeling tired. How much weight are you trying to lose [/quote]

It’s a bit hasty to say its an aggressive deficit without knowing I’m 340, 6 3”, and a 27 year old. Also, it might help to know that my energy level did not decrease when I lost the weight, but it did not increase much either. I am trying to lose 100 pounds.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hi Jordan, I first off do not know what the plant paradox system is so cannot help you there.

However I am following a Low Carb diet and started out needing to lose over a 100 pounds so I get that part. Not saying Low Carb is way to go, just saying that is what I use, being Diabetic it helps with blood sugars.

My point here is I sure do eat lots of vegetables. Something I have found to be extremely helpful, and I had to make it a habit.
    Example I will buy lots of celery think 4 to 6 bunches at a time. On same day I have bought said celery, I wash, chop up, weigh out and put in baggies. That way, I literally know I can grab at any time and how much is in there. I normally cut up 4 to 6 oz small pieces for use in cooking.

I find spending part of a day prepping veges, and fruit. Saves me time when I am actually cooking.

Also at most stores at least in US, you can buy lots of different types of Veges and even Fruit precut up and washed. So then you can weigh out portions or however you are deciding portions.

There is a group on here I think called volume eaters too you might want to go look at.

Maybe think about taking a multi vitamin, as you might not be getting everything you need in your diet. Good Luck.

• StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    At also started out at the same BMI as you and lost aggressively in the first month; also felt hungry/not full. I met with a nutritionist and had my BMR tested - turns out that the recommended calories based on the calculators at MFP (and elsewhere) were too aggressive and that with my BMR I needed to be eating more calories! I upped the calories and felt much better - I have continued to lose weight (early on it was about 1.7/lbs per week with the deficit due to a mix of exercise/ calorie restriction); lost 60 lbs so far. About 8 pounds to goal now (and going at a slower rate).

I also have sleep apnea - check your mask fitting just in case there are leaks; with weight loss my face looses weight earlier than other parts which can affect mask fit. (but expect you know that :-)

In any case it was well worth the cost to have BMR tested!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    That is because it is a restrictive diet with no reality behind it. I mean, anything that says that a food causes "leaky gut" and "leaky brain" obviously is pseudoscience.

I would say because leaky gut is not a proven medical thing.

Haven't heard of leaky brain - but if your brain is leaking, ie you have a cerebral fluid leak - you have a big problem and not one any diet can fix.

This.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/leaky-gut-syndrome/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/leaky-brain-leaky-gut-are-they-real/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options

I would say because leaky gut is not a proven medical thing.

Haven't heard of leaky brain - but if your brain is leaking, ie you have a cerebral fluid leak - you have a big problem and not one any diet can fix.

It's a thing, but not in the Plant Paradox sense . . . close friend just had surgery to repair CSF leaks, including into inner ear. Quite rare.

What it results in, it seems, is an interesting S-shaped pattern of about 30 surgical staples running from in front of ear, down around behind ear, on shaven side of head - very punk looking. :grimace:

Nothing to do with eating plant foods that humans have been eating for centuries and millennia, while thriving (at least long enough to breed ;) and often much longer ).