SAHM seeking support and motivation

I have tried to lose weight on numerous occasions and I've always lost and then gained weight like a yo-yo. I am a new stay-at-home mom to my beautiful daughter who's two and a half months old. I had her on my 38th birthday and I owe it to her to live a healthy lifestyle. As of today I have started watching what I eat and I'm now looking for an exercise routine I can do while watching over my daughter. Can't afford to join a gym so doing what I can at home and trying to find some good exercise videos that are either free or fairly cheap. Always willing to look for advice from other stay-at-home moms as this is new to me and time is very limited with a new baby.

Replies

• My kid just turned 4 in August and it’s been a long hard lonely road as a stay at home mom, tried dieting numerous times but depression always helped me fall off. I haven’t been happy with myself in a long time but it took family reunion photos to get me back on this journey and I hit it running. I can’t do nothing at a slow pace. Amazon has decently priced treadmills and stationary bikes or if you’re on fb you can look in the market place for ones that are next to nothing. My mother gave me a stationary bike and bought me a treadmill for an early birthday present but I find that the bike is a better workout. I started with 10 miles a day which didn’t last long before I was doing 20 and some days 30. I cut out most carbs and sugar. Trying to eat clean and healthy. And don’t weight yourself often, that can be discouraging, instead measure yourself. I weigh in on the 1st. I’ve only been back at this since the end of August. There are lots of things you can do at home. YouTube also has workout videos. You just have to stay determined! You’ve got this, you can do it. I hope I helped a little with my babbling nonsense.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,987 Member
    I'm not a SAHM, but there are plenty of free body weight and other workouts online.

Try PopSugar Fitness or Fitness Blender for Free Workout Videos. They are both on YouTube and there are a bunch of others on YouTube, but I can't think of their names right now. There are a ton of free workouts online, and you can find quite a few via google searches.

I personally like the Darebee site too because it has various workouts that you can do at your own pace (they are sheets of workouts, not videos though, but sometimes the videos for me are too fast).

Wishing you the best on this new season of your life!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I have been a SAHM for over 12 years - eeek! Definite weight fluctuations over the years (4 term pregnancies, nursing, a few miscarriages, and a hysterectomy at 34).

I have a bike trainer for my bike set up downstairs, just recently purchased a vintage rowing machine that stores relatively easily. My favorite DVDs are Miranda Edmonde White Classical Stretch (nice and gentle), just picked up 30 Day Shred but taking it slow (my knees and ankles aren’t quite up to par). There is also a DVD for walking, blanking on the name.

I have neon clothes and lights so I can walk/run in the evenings when hubby is home. There are mom groups that will do stroller walks/runs, and I did a baby workout class for a while with my first.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Hey I'm a stay at home mom to an 11 year old boy. I like YouTube workout videos. Sydney Cummings is great, the body project is another good one too. I like to get outside and run or walk when the weather is nice too. Hope you accomplish your goals
  • I have tried to lose weight on numerous occasions and I've always lost and then gained weight like a yo-yo. I am a new stay-at-home mom to my beautiful daughter who's two and a half months old. I had her on my 38th birthday and I owe it to her to live a healthy lifestyle. As of today I have started watching what I eat and I'm now looking for an exercise routine I can do while watching over my daughter. Can't afford to join a gym so doing what I can at home and trying to find some good exercise videos that are either free or fairly cheap. Always willing to look for advice from other stay-at-home moms as this is new to me and time is very limited with a new baby.

Congrats on your beautiful 38th bday present!

I am a SAHM to 10 and 11yo girls. I homeschool Miss 10 and do some casual work here and there sometimes.

I have been injured the last year or so and put on weight. Now I am cleared to exercise again I am starting with a cleaner diet and some gentle exercise and stretching.

YouTube yoga, walking around the block and swimming. I also use the 30 day fitness app.

I have sent you a friend request :smiley:
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Hey I'm a SAHM (homeschooling too @SeaghdhaTakiwatanga ) My favorite exercise advice I've heard is to do what you enjoy. Right now, I love going on walks for exercise, stroller rides for the baby! @Crystallh1981 My best advice is be patient with yourself and with your weight loss. Postpartum is a lot to handle. Happy for you, setting goals for yourself and I wish you success!! <3 Congrats on having your baby girl!
  • MomNoms0941
    MomNoms0941 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I’m a homeschooling SAHM with 4 kids. I’ve got 3 that are 3 and under and a moody teen. I stress eat like a mofo, like binges. I enjoy wine too 🤷‍♀️. I’m also looking for encouragement. I’m down 50lbs since giving birth, but I’m stuck now. The biggest help to me has been food prepping.. but it’s also very hard being around all the food I make for my kids all day. You’re not alone.