Protein Shake Question, Answers/Help Appreciated!

Hello everyone :), I hope everyone has a great weekend, for those who have weekends off work anyway. I work from 3pm-midnight Monday-Friday, so I have to rely on protein shakes to get my daily protein, carb, and calorie total.

I know this part should be maybe posted in recipe forums, but I also have a question to maintain my weight so I posted here.

Here's my recipe, and if there's people out there who want a delicious protein shake, look no further!!!

#1. 2 cups of oats (blend them first so they become powdery)

#2. 2 scoops Milk Chocholate protein (I use MuscleTech, but I'm sure any alternative would be fine)

#3. 2 cups of 2% reduced fat milk

#4. 2 Bananas

#5. 4 Tbsp, Peanutbutter

I attached a screenshot of the recipe, and I feel like those who are new to making protein shakes and are trying to meet there daily intake, look no further! This is so so good, and the picture with the orange shirt was me in 2014 (was around 28% body fat) and every other picture was taken a week ago after working out. I started working out March of last year every single morning before work, or after school/college, and then going to work. I stay busy.

But yes, my question is does my protein, carbs, and calorie total from the protein recipe shake come from the entire blender or just one cup? That has always confused me. I don't want to over-consume my daily intake nor under-consume, please let me know any help is appreciated, thanks :)!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I'm not sure I'm understanding the question, but from your screenshoot, you have the entire shake as one serving, 1766 calories. All of the numbers in your screenshot are for the whole recipe.
  • FriendlySpidey50
    FriendlySpidey50 Posts: 6 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'm understanding the question, but from your screenshoot, you have the entire shake as one serving, 1766 calories. All of the numbers in your screenshot are for the whole recipe.

So, should it be the entire blender that I get the macros and calorie count or just one cup? Like, what I mean is whenever I pour the shake into the cup, do I get the entire macros and calorie count or do I have to consume the entire blender full?

I have drunk both one cup and the entire blender before was just curious is all so it's easier for me to track my macros and calorie count.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Is there a reason you're so concerned about the macros? I don't even know what mine are. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    The calories, protein, fat, etc are for the entire contents. They will vary if you use different protein powder, brand of peanut butter, etc.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Is there a reason you're so concerned about the macros? I don't even know what mine are. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit.

a calorie deficit doesn't help someone trying to maintain weight.
  • FriendlySpidey50
    FriendlySpidey50 Posts: 6 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

For some people, macros matter. I like to ensure I get a minimum of protein and fat and the carbs fall where they may. ETA: these can be important for people who are strength training, or find that a certain macro balance helps with satiety. Yes, calories matter overall for weight loss, but macros can be important for other reasons.

So, should it be the entire blender that I get the macros and calorie count or just one cup? Like, what I mean is whenever I pour the shake into the cup, do I get the entire macros and calorie count or do I have to consume the entire blender full?

I have drunk both one cup and the entire blender before was just curious is all so it's easier for me to track my macros and calorie count.

It's 1766 and those macros for the whole recipe. If you are only drinking a portion of it, then you need to figure out how much of it you are consuming. For example, if you are drinking 1/4 of the total blended amount, then you are getting 1/4 of the calories, and 1/4 of the macros.

Does that answer your question?

Hey man, yeah, it does, thanks :)!

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    nice work... 28% to I am guessing from the picture high teens BF now?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member

If you were to drink that entire recipe, which I'm guessing is the full blender, then you'd get the macros and calories listed in the screenshot.

If your cup is smaller than the full blender, you'd get some proportion of those macros/calories. To calculate exactly what proportion you'd get, you can:
    • Put the blender carafe on the scale. Tare.
    • Add ingredients one at a time. Enter each ingredient by weight in the recipe builder.
    • Set the number of servings of the recipe equal to its weight in grams.
    • Put lid on carafe and blend.
    • Put cup on scale. Tare
    • Fill up the cup with however much shake you want. Note the weight of the shake you just weighed out.
    • Now enter your "servings" of shake as the number of grams you just weighed out. For example, if you have 200 grams of shake, you enter 200 servings since we set 1 serving equal to 1 gram.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    You are over-complicating this! The calorie count is for the recipie. Divide the complete recipie into as many portions as you want, and divide the 1766 calories by that number. Simples!