Fitness after babies?

I’m 4 months postpartum and now ready to start working on my health. I’m in the worst shape I’ve ever been in. I get winded by just going up the stairs! I’m looking for some encouragement from other mommas who are working towards a healthier life after baby. I’m finding it very difficult to get motivated and finding time just to get to the gym!

How do you get started?? Picture of my sweet pea ❤️

1t43002dxx53.jpeg

Replies

• SarahMorris12
    SarahMorris12 Posts: 12 Member
    I will say that for me it is harder now that she’s a toddler. Lol! I have to do it around naptime and that’s it. She won’t allow me the time or space to workout while she’s awake. Sure sometimes a little toddler yoga is fun to do together, but when I need my good sweat session I have to wait until she’s napping. Also must add that I’m a freak and trust nobody with my children so she won’t ever go to a gym daycare. But that’s an option for you. Get this... my teen daughter (yes I have a 15 yr age gap in kids haha) works at a gym in the daycare portion and I still won’t leave my child there. I’m just a freak. Anyways....
    So I would say start with her naptime. She still naps a few times a day I assume? Do some videos or make up your own routine. I’m a stay at home mom and have my own equipment. But when I started all I had was a treadmill and pair of 5lb weights. Still dropped weight easily. I have since added quite a bit more equipment but it’s not necessary. Most of it is in your diet.
    Good luck momma!!! Oh, and she is the cutest little thing!!!
  • OpulentBobble
    OpulentBobble Posts: 18 Member
    Hey mama! My little one is almost 6 months old so I’m in a similar position. I’m trying to work on my eating habits, which have been the biggest hindrance to a healthy lifestyle. I try to stay active. Getting a baby carrier helped a lot because it gives me so much freedom. I can hike again! Also I have a jogging stroller with a car seat attachment. It was really nice to be able to get out for something a little more strenuous than a walk. I’m also looking forward to getting back to the gym. I’m so lucky to have childcare at my gym starting at 6 months!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,059 Member
    I can't afford a gym, and my "baby" is 18months old LOL, I also have a 3 and 5 year old. So exercising in the day is out the question!
    So I do alot of walking out with the pram, and when they're in bed I get some YouTube videos on my tv up and do some dance cardio. And some core and body strength stuff.

My fave video is Sweaty Betty with Body by Simone. It's killer lol!
    And all you need for that is yourself and yoga mat and some hand weights (but she says in the video you can use a tin of beans)

But if working out late night isn't for you (I'm sometimes tired by that point) then I would definitely do it around nap time!
  • kinkedcurlz
    kinkedcurlz Posts: 16 Member
    I gained 100lbs being pregnant. I was 155lbs when I got pregnant and I was about 260lbs when he was c-sectioned out of me. I had to worst postpartum I even had pre post partum that even still I think affects me but that’s a whole other story. I started slow, walking slow for 10min and doing that a couple times then double and tripling the time. Then I would speed up a bit but start back at 10 min until I could do 30 and kept going from there. Soon I could run for 15 min it’s all about building up your stamina and staying consistent. Put good food in your body, track what you eat, stretch, focus, and it will come. I was back to 155 in like 3 years. Who cares you just had a kid 3 years is nada!

Good luck
  • kinkedcurlz
    kinkedcurlz Posts: 16 Member
    Oh, and use your kid as a piece of excersise equipment. Fun for them and your doing strength training.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    I will say that for me it is harder now that she’s a toddler. Lol! I have to do it around naptime and that’s it. She won’t allow me the time or space to workout while she’s awake. Sure sometimes a little toddler yoga is fun to do together, but when I need my good sweat session I have to wait until she’s napping. Also must add that I’m a freak and trust nobody with my children so she won’t ever go to a gym daycare. But that’s an option for you. Get this... my teen daughter (yes I have a 15 yr age gap in kids haha) works at a gym in the daycare portion and I still won’t leave my child there. I’m just a freak. Anyways....
    So I would say start with her naptime. She still naps a few times a day I assume? Do some videos or make up your own routine. I’m a stay at home mom and have my own equipment. But when I started all I had was a treadmill and pair of 5lb weights. Still dropped weight easily. I have since added quite a bit more equipment but it’s not necessary. Most of it is in your diet.
    Good luck momma!!! Oh, and she is the cutest little thing!!!

Thank you! She turned 4 months today! Unfortunately my gym doesn’t have a daycare and I’m not allowed to bring her yet for insurance purposes. So if I want to get to the gym, I have to go at night once she’s down for bed.

She also only naps for 30 mins at a time which makes working out at home really difficult.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Hey mama! My little one is almost 6 months old so I’m in a similar position. I’m trying to work on my eating habits, which have been the biggest hindrance to a healthy lifestyle. I try to stay active. Getting a baby carrier helped a lot because it gives me so much freedom. I can hike again! Also I have a jogging stroller with a car seat attachment. It was really nice to be able to get out for something a little more strenuous than a walk. I’m also looking forward to getting back to the gym. I’m so lucky to have childcare at my gym starting at 6 months!

My eating habits definitely need to change. I’ve been eating a lot of trash for months now, so I’m working on cutting out all the junk.

I also ordered a new carrier to make it easier to get things done with her. Too bad my gym doesn’t have a daycare though.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    My daughter is now 7 years old but I remember the days and months following birth. My advice is to be kind to yourself. Be gentle with your body. The body needs to heal and postpartum requires care and love and acceptance. 4 months postpartum may be the perfect time to start working hard...but most likely your body continues to need compassionate care, especially if you are nursing.

The temptation to get back your body, or get a new and improved body, is off the charts when you're postpartum. I spent a lot of time dreaming about it, and even working toward it. But, I found that for me, my body needed healing still. And that is ok.

Treating a postpartum body with respect, in my mind, involves nourishing it with pure, whole foods, no overindulging in food, moving the body in a mindful way (yoga, walking, dance) that feels really warming but not excessive, and being present in your body as it goes through challenging changes.
  • aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    She’s beautiful! 👶🏼
    MFP has helped me achieve my goals with the calorie count. I’m cheering for you!

You can do it! 🌺
  • TheHairyDadder
    TheHairyDadder Posts: 3 Member
    This isn't advice, and you can delete it if you like, but it might be a bit of a laugh or motivation for both mums and dads.

2.30AM

The horror begins. The little one comes into our bedroom and forces themselves between us, sticking their backside out enough that I have to move across the bed until I’m hanging onto the edge of the bed, the bedside cabinet, even the wall opposite. I felt like that scene in Spider-man 2 when he was trying to stop the train.

3.15AM

She’s still awake, and fidgeting like hell. “Downstairs, Daddy. Let’s go downstairs.” With eyes that can barely stay open without cartoon matchsticks (mine not hers), she drags me downstairs, a stubborn refusal to sleep in her own damn bed. On goes Netflix and some fairies, and on goes the kettle for daddy’s super-strong bucket of coffee.

4.15AM

She’s dozed off on the sofa, and the coffee is kicking in, my leg bouncing up and down like a jackhammer. Time to get *kitten* done. Kind of. A quick change from pyjamas to “workout clothes” AKA yesterday’s t-shirt and shorts.

4.30AM

Barbell set up, weights locked on, giant cup of water ready to go, pillows on chairs to soften the noise from the heavy bench press.

The other one is awake….

“Daddy, I can’t sleep either.”

(Insert muttered swearing and oaths of fealty to the dark gods).

“Okay, come on downstairs.”

This one tucks herself in on the sofa as well, demanding biscuits and milk, and crisps. I can hear movement upstairs, and I check the time and it’s….

6AM

Where the hell did that go?!

Lunchboxes have got to be done, and drinks and uniforms sorted. Barbell and weight plates are packed away again.

6.30-8.30AM

The madness that is breakfast, and getting children dressed for school whilst battling the time like wading through the damn surf. Screaming and tired whining, and complaining, and we’re off on the school run! A quick read of the latest fitness magazine before the walk from the car to the school. Or more likely swipe through Instagram, and struggle to keep the eyelids open.

“Daddy, can we go now?”

9AM

Kids are at school, even the big ones, wife is home and kettle is on. The littlest is with me, and it’s off to the supermarket.

“I want that one, daddy.”

Crisps go into the trolley, as well as chocolate yoghurts, and several members of staff depending on how tired I am, and if I’m paying attention to what I’m actually taking off the shelves. In a desperate attempt to get around the shop quickly, and to avoid being arrested, we nimbly dodge around the older people doddering about. The screaming daughter, demanding everything and getting nothing, is now covering up daddy’s swearing and cursing at everyone getting in the way.

11.30AM

Take the wife back to work, and get home to prepare for the day’s workout. This day is compound day, the Golden Five, so a good strength workout. Hell yeah. Get a buzz just thinking about it. Then I remember there’s a three-year-old girl there with me.

“Daddy, what’s that?” as I pull the barbell out.

“Daddy, what’s that?” as the spring collars come out.

“Daddy, what’s that?” as I slap the weight plates on the bar.

12.00AM

Start with the Deadlifts, good and easy, nicely done. “Daddy, what you doin’?” “Exercising,” I grunt as I hit the end of the second set. “Daddy, what you doin’?” “Still exercising.” “Have you finished yet, Daddy?”

Bench presses next. Quite possibly the worst exercise to do with an inquisitive daughter. As I lie on the floor, about to grab the heavy barbell, she decides this is the time to fling herself on me. “Daddy’s trying to exercise!” I’m sure she’s trying to smother me.

“Exercise then Daddy.”

“I’m trying dammit!”

“Come on Daddy!”

(Insert muttered oaths and curses under my breath).

Into the third set of bench presses, and she decides to lie on the floor next to me, directly under the hovering barbell and my shaking arms.

“Out of the way, or you’re gonna get crushed.” What seems like at least half an hour, and some more swearing, and she finally listens, although I’m fairly certain it’s because Paw Patrol has distracted her.

Bench presses done, onto the overhead presses, which in my house means kneeling otherwise that barbell is going through the ceiling.

“What you doin’, Daddy?”

She stands in front of me, the barbell above my head, my toes cramping.

“Ex…er….cis….ing…”

The imminent danger is beyond her.

“Ffffffffffffffff…….” The arms start shaking, and the barbell begins to drop. Oblivious, she wonders off to play with a unicorn. Breathing heavily and shaking from the near miss I wonder if the gods are laughing at me.

I manage to get through the rest without incident, until the very last add-on exercise. The planks!

As I get into the plank position and my timer starts, she tucks herself in underneath me, and I start sweating profusely. My muscles shake and argue as I try to keep myself from squashing my little daughter, all the while she’s finding it absolutely hilarious.

The timer stops, and I throw myself to the side.

That’s one way to force my body into the correct plank form.

1.00PM

Workout done, and it’s time for the post-workout protein shake, which happens to be chocolate. “Can I have chocolate milk, Daddy?”

“It’s not milk.”

“But I want one.”

“It’s… not…. Milk…”

She takes a deep breath

Seconds later, she is indeed drinking chocolate milk (albeit Nesquik mixed with almond milk since she has a dairy intolerance).

Lunch is served, which pretty much amounts to crisps for her, and a protein-filled chicken sandwich (with a LOT of chicken in).

3.00PM

School run, more arguing, more running around. Home and get dinner on, pasta for the kids and chicken and salad for me.

6.00PM

Bath time, screaming and shouting and the bathroom turns into Kevin Costner’s Waterworld, whilst daddy watches the latest Buff Dudes or Lean Machines videos on YouTube.

7.00PM

Bed time for the young ones.

9.00PM

I emerge from the little ones’ room, they’ve finally fallen asleep, after much arguing and refusal to go to bed. “I’m not tired, Daddy,” they tell me through yawns and drowsy conversation.

10.00PM

Bed for me. Wife is amused that I can barely keep my eyes open.

Good night everyone.

1.00AM

“Daddy, need a wee-wee.”

• PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I’m a stay at home mom to an 8,6,2 and 7 month old.
    I use MFP to weight and track all my food. That’s an essential tool for me.
    As far as fitness, the only time I have during the week to go is 530 am. I love it. I don’t have to change anyone, get anyone else ready, or worry about anyone but myself.

I’m not sure what your home situation is like, but you mentioned working out once she goes to bed. Aim for an activity you enjoy (a class, lifting weights, a walk in the park) 2-3x a week at first.

You can do it!
    Btw-she is such a cutie pie! Congrats
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    My wife didn't do much with the gym when the kids were babies. Once the kids were out of the infant seat and could go in a regular stroller, she bought a jogging stroller and started walking and then increased to jogging. When she was ready to go back to the gym, we just did shifts and I would watch the baby when she was at the gym and vice versa.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    i walked everywhere when my daughter was little. she often went to sleep in the pram