Losing belly fat

Options
So I have been using MFP for about a week and I am staying under my calorie count but my question is what core exercises help lose belly fat the best. I have a messed up shoulder that I can’t use so I was wondering about things like leg lifts and stuff in that category?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Where your fat collects is largely genetic.

It wouldn't hurt to do any type of core strengthening exercises, though.

As you lose weight, hopefully you'll see some of that belly fat go. Good luck!

I'm sure other members will drop by and give specific ideas for workouts.
  • Sking0787
    Sking0787 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Okay I think I worded my question wrong, lol sorry. What I was trying to ask was what type of core exercises would be best for toning my stomach without having to depend on my right shoulder? I hope I wrote the right question this time lol
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Edited* the only thing I can think of that doesn’t use upper body are sit ups.. you can do incline sit-ups or weighted - compound lifts are the best though for tightening your core.. In my opinion of course, I’m no expert - the whole eating less thing is important but lifting any weights in a good solid program will make you look better overall..
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    It would depend on how limiting your shoulder injury is. Someone else mentioned sit-ups and crunches. You can actually make quite a bit a progress with just those. You can make them progressively harder by doing more reps, doing them on an incline, holding a weight, or combining these. Make sure you use good form, especially with full sit-ups, to avoid straining your back. Holding a weight might be problematic with a shoulder injury though.

You can also do "butt ups". While this doesn't require using any shoulder strength, it does require you to put weight on your shoulders, which may be problematic depending on your injury.

https://youtu.be/_-Ke7ZS8HJc

And I know people have already jumped on you about it but just to reiterate, there is no way to pick and choose where you'll lose fat first. No exercise or diet will allow you to lose fat in a specific area of your body. It comes down to how your body works. Some people lose belly fat first, some thigh fat, some arm fat, etc. You just have to lose fat in general, via a caloric defecit, and stick with it until the fat comes off the area where you want to lose it.
  • KDBisme
    KDBisme Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    1.) watch sugar. You can be under your calories, but sugar (especially alcohol) will collect fat around the midsection.
    2.) Two words: pelvic floor!!! Look up some pelvic floor exercises. I had to do them for physical therapy because I fractured my L5 vertebrae, and they are totally the unsung heroes of core strength and definition. I’m trying to get my 6-pack back because I’ve let my eating get out of control, but this was me when I was doing pelvic floor every day. (They incorporate all of the core muscles... not just the abs.)
  • KDBisme
    KDBisme Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pelvic Floor exercise
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Do NOT do situps or crunches for any reason. Conventional wisdom currently is that they are BAD for your lower back and are NOT the best ab/core exercises in any event.

Opinions will differ but IMO the BEST ab/core exercises are Olympic barbell SQTs and DLs which rely on and build core strength in the process. Doing OHPs also involves significant use of your core

Unweighted ab/core exercises of greatest value would also IMO include: planks/pushups and hanging (and/or seated) bent (and/or straight legged) leg lifts.
  • RexFerdinand
    RexFerdinand Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First for all you can’t spot reduce, building a great set of abs takes time just stay where you are in a slight deficit and it will come. Step 2 however once you can see your abs it’s build em like any other muscle groups. But keep chipping away and best of luck!