Reasonable length of time to see changes in body comp?

Options
sarko15
sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
edited October 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a feeling I know the answer to this (that there is no answer :p ) but I figured I'd ask, since everyone here is so knowledgeable.

Is there a way to predict body composition results over a period of time? Sort of like how you can calculate weight loss by choosing a deficit that will mathematically get you that result during a certain period of time, ex: 500 cal deficit to lose 1 lb a week, and you could expect to lose 12 lbs in 12 weeks if you follow everything perfectly, etc. I know it's not usually as simple as that, but it's a helpful ballpark.

I'm on my third week of doing heavy (for me, very much a weight training beginner) full body lifts, 3x a week with some cardio mixed in to help decrease body fat while increasing strength. I know there will likely be some time before I see results, and I'm still learning how much and how quickly I can increase my weights. But man I'm impatient :# and wish there was some kind of ballpark I could lean on to track my progress. It would be helpful to know if it's a wait and see situation vs. there's something I need to tweak to be on track.

I'm 5'3", 150 lbs, at 32% bf, eating around 1400-1800 cals a day, depending on whether it was a weights or cardio day. I haven't had much change in my weight yet so far, but I'm trying to fixate more on adjusting my body composition than losing weight, because I've been "trying to lose weight" with cardio for around 10 years at this point. I started dabbling with machines and dumbbells a little over a year ago, but now I've hired a trainer and am following the StrongLifts program.

Replies

• EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started with strength training. You are on the right track! As a newbie, you'll likely start to notice minor changes within 6-8 weeks, but the big transformations take more time. They'll happen so slowly you may not easily see them, so take some progress pics every few months and do some measurements as well.

In my experience, the changes I notice are random. One day I'll wake up and realize my pants are bigger around my waist. Another day I'll go to the gym and see definition in a muscle that wasn't there before. These little things have been happening continuously, and they're keeping me going no matter what the scale does.

Some people take many years to hit their goals. IMO it's enjoyable to celebrate victories and enjoy life all the time however I can instead of focusing on the "end goal." The goal will get here eventually if you keep doing the work.

Best of luck to you!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    If I'm really diligent and do ab/core work 6 days a week, I start to notice a little difference in my abs in about 6 weeks.

Same with doing bicep/tricep weights about 5 days a week ... it takes 6 weeks before I notice any hint of a change in definition.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    It’s so individual and it depends on the results you are seeking. If your goal is to look like a bodybuilder then years. If you want to look ‘toned’ then less time. But I don’t think anyone can be specific enough to say ‘ this is gonna take x months/ years’

You’re gonna make great progress in terms of increasing weight on the bar at the beginning.

If you carry on losing fat I would say once you have lost another 15 to 20 pounds you will see changes in yr body shape. But it really depends on how much muscle you have to start with. I would say be patient and it takes most females years and years to build a decent muscle base unles you are a high responderto weight training. . Not saying that to discourage you.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I will share my personal experience, that it took me about 6 months of training 5 days a week( 1-2hr sessions) to start seeing muscle development. Im also sitting around 25-26% bf. I learned to just love the journey and celebrate every small change. It's worth it ,especially if u keep it fun!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I’m not completely clear which you’re asking:
    When you will develop strength to lift heavier—-within a few weeks

When your bf% will decrease—-you pretty much need to be a weight loss deficit given where you’re currently at

When you will visualize muscle—-this is pretty subjective because most people’s self perception is inaccurate. As stated above getting to s lower bf will facilitate this.

Good luck!