Archery as Exercise

My son wanted suddenly got an interest in Archery. So he gave me his old bow and we went to the archery range. Had a great time. We had to use his bow and take turns because the old bow needed work.

So I took the old bow to an Archery Technician. He said throw it away. It was bad and dangerous. I ended up buying a new bow albeit a fairly inexpensive one. Took it back to the Technician guy and he set it up for me. Did a great job too. Although he didn't like the bow that much. I figured it was an entry point.

When I first got it I went to draw it back but couldn't. I thought it was defective or I didn't know something. After reading some articles where they told people to lift weights I realized two things, one the bow was set at a 70lb draw and two, I was weak.

So I adjusted the draw weight to 55lbs and was able to draw it back with some effort.

That first time out with my son taught me something I never realized. That archery is exercise. According to my Fitbit I got 81 minutes of activity and 10 floors. Come Monday, I was sore!

Then one week I went on a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Once again on Monday I was super sore.

The archery range is downhill and unlike rifles or pistols you must retrieve your arrows. So you get quite a walk in. Yesterday it was 38 minutes of activity and 3 floors. Which by the way you get way more time walking if you lose an arrow! So far we've lost about a dozen arrows at 5-8 dollars an arrow. uhg!

I've improved but I'm no expert. There is so much to it, more than I would ever imagine.

Another huge benefit for me is it get's me out of the house and into the sunshine. That is so important to me.

I've gotten stronger over the course of the last 3 months. It just makes you feel better.

For you women folk I learned something really interesting. The women on average shoot bows only about 5lbs. less draw than the men in Archery competition. WTG Ladies!

It is a fun sport for sure. There's nothing like hearing the pop of an arrow hitting a target bag.

Before anyone goes to the range get some pointers. There's all kinds of stuff on the internet.

Always be safe too.

Aesop

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I’m not into archery but on one of my hiking trails there’s a public archery range and it covers a huge area with targets up and down some pretty steep hills, all intertwined with trees. Not to mention you have to hike at least a mile just to access it! I’ve hiked through it and watched some of the archers, I can see how it would definitely be a workout! Good for you for finding an activity you enjoy, that’ll make it easier to stick with it and reap the fitness benefits! :) good luck on your journey!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I love archery. I've recently been looking into local ranges. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • I shoot occasionally- I don't count it as exercise but with a longbow I have no break and after about 130 shots, my form starts to get dloppy due to fatigue.

Try hitting the gym and doing some face pulls/high rows.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Archery has long been acknowledged as a sport in which women are on fairly even footing with men. The Mongols certainly did!