Well, crap. I've jacked my knee up. Now what?

Options
I've been doing fairly well tracking my food for about 6 weeks and have lost the expected amount of weight in that time. I'm a long-time runner, and have been on an at-least-a-mile-a-day streak since 1/1/19. This weekend I fell down some stairs and jacked my knee up and so not only broke my running streak but also probably can't run or do other weight-bearing exercises at least this week if not longer.

First, I want you all to feel bad for me :) I'm for sure going to miss those exercise calories!

Second, what kind of exercise CAN I do if I can't really use my legs. Everything has to be at home for reasons. I'm thinking lots of core work, but I'm open to other options.

Thanks!

Replies

• mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your injury. Sounds like you will be limited to upper body, resistance bands etc. but if you wind up on crutches that’s a workout on itself 😬
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Look on YouTube for floor routines. YouTube has an exercise video to work around anything.

And don’t let the injury to your knee take over your head. You don’t need your leg to keep your food diary going. And if the knee isn’t up and running soon go to the doc for a PT referral. Disrupted exercise is a bummer. ☹️. But keep working. Good luck.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you think you're only going to be out of commission for a week then this is just short term angst. I get it, I would miss my exercise calories too, but if you keep on track with your food at least that's something you have control of for now. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Diastole
    Diastole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Knee friendly yoga, seated weights (light) and seated boxing for cardio?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I thought I would be out of commission for only a week, I probably wouldn't worry about it and just focus on rest and recovery...it's a very minor disruption.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'd focus on rest/recovery - and if its still bugging you in a week, then get it checked out - don't be the dumbass like me, who kept working out and ignored the pain...lol!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a week if you're not getting exercise calories. REST. Drink plenty of water and take your anti-inflammatory meds. Stretch if you can, and the second you can get in some careful walking you're back in business. Just make sure that you come back in a distraction free way so as to pay attention to what your healing body is telling you. (I tend to spend a week on a treadmill for exercise after an injury. No grade, irregularities in turf, or traffic. Then if it's all good, I move to less boring outside stuff.)
  • jrh_this_better_work
    Options
    OP here. I had the MRI on Monday and get the results today. I rested completely last week but have been doing some low impact cardio routines (Fitness Blender), some stretching, and some upper body work. I'm itching to get back to running but can't walk without some pain yet. Hoping for good news today but preparing for the worst (surgery and rehab). Thanks for the good thoughts and advice. I'll report back!
  • JEDGUY
    JEDGUY Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I am going through the same thing, my knee got messed up at work a month ago and I'm finally starting to exercise via biking. Focus on core/arms for now until you get the "all clear" to start using your knee again. It sucks but you're going to get nowhere fast if you hurt your knee worse by overusing it. All of this is just a small bump in the road. You'll get back to normal real soon!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    I'd think YouTube videos would work well. When I was in physical therapy there was a machine where you use pedals, like biking with your hands instead of feet. I have no clue what the cost would be for something similar, I've seen floor pedals you can buy on QVC so that may work for hands. I hope you feel better soon!
  • jrh_this_better_work
    Options
    OP again. It's official, I need surgery. Tore ACL clean through and meniscus is torn as well. I'm on the hunt for a recumbent stationery bike. Hoping to talk to the surgery scheduler today so I can get going on the recovery process!
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been doing fairly well tracking my food for about 6 weeks and have lost the expected amount of weight in that time. I'm a long-time runner, and have been on an at-least-a-mile-a-day streak since 1/1/19. This weekend I fell down some stairs and jacked my knee up and so not only broke my running streak but also probably can't run or do other weight-bearing exercises at least this week if not longer.

First, I want you all to feel bad for me :) I'm for sure going to miss those exercise calories!

Second, what kind of exercise CAN I do if I can't really use my legs. Everything has to be at home for reasons. I'm thinking lots of core work, but I'm open to other options.

Thanks!

When i tore my meniscus I started lifting weights using machines. When my knee healed I started using free weights.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I do feel so sorry for you...(does that help?). But really, injuries really ruin things for avid exercises..it is a real problem when a persons weight goal plan works because they love to work out. You're lucky it will only take a week or two to heal..
  • Djhfjy
    Djhfjy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    dont workout till its fixed, take a break man
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    OP again. It's official, I need surgery. Tore ACL clean through and meniscus is torn as well. I'm on the hunt for a recumbent stationery bike. Hoping to talk to the surgery scheduler today so I can get going on the recovery process!

You should also be on the hut for a physical therapist. Probably more so than a recumbent bike, though if you already have a bike, it would be cheaper to just get a bike trainer.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

Wow, you have my greatest sympathy. I'm slowly getting over a painful month of "runner's knee," but at least I didn't tear anything.

If you haven't done do, I would ask your medical team about safe exercise. They'll probably schedule you for rehab. Good luck.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    If you can get a hold of a zimmer frame or crutches, I did cardio after both knee and ankle surgery by hopping behind a zimmer frame on the good leg. It's very strenuous. The MFP entry for "walking, using crutches" was quite accurate, according to my heart rate monitor. It was entered by a friend who broke her ankle and calibrated the exercise database entry to her heart rate monitor.
  • acpgee
    Options
    OP, I just saw you need surgery, so the hospital will likely provide you with either a zimmer frame or crutches while you are recovering. Hopping around on the good leg with crutches or a zimmer frame around the block a few times was actually more strenuous than my regular workout on the elliptical, according to the HRM.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't overdo it before your knee has recovered. Start swimming when your doctors says it's alright. I know too many people around me who've had double knee replacements and end up overdoing everything as soon as they can. Now, they need new knee replacements because they did not heed doctors' orders.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Doing the zimmer frame workout, you do need to be immune to looking pathetic, especially if the injured leg is in a cast. We have a theatre about a block away from the flat, and whenever the doorman saw me slowing approaching, sweat streaming down my face, hopping behind the zimmer frame, he would run into the bar to fetch me a glass of water.

Also a lot of passers by would ask if they could assist in any way. What, like carry me home, piggy back style?