Had surgery? Gained weight?

This is for individuals who are dealing with health issues and also physical restraints that inhibit them from working out I recently just had knee surgery and it’s been really hard for me to control my eating habits due to the fact that I am depressed, in a lot of pain, and can’t move or do much as I used to. I am starting this weight-loss journey so that I can control what I eat and feel better about myself. I have gained 50 pounds since the injury and up to now I am currently two weeks in for physical therapy after the surgery! My goal is to get rid of that 50 pounds I gained in those hard of months of being disabled. Wish me Luck !
<3fgweon8926vx.jpeg

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Hey good luck with your journey here
    I have been somewhat sidelined due to a torn rotator cuff. I'm stubborn so I haven't given up all my activities....stubborn....stupid....? Haha. I am having surgery next week and will be stuck in a sling for possibly 6 weeks. Not looking forward to the down time but at least I'll be allowed to walk.

Hope you're able to achieve your goals
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I can relate. I had hip replacements this year. However, my depression was in the months before deciding to do it because of fear driven resistance and denial. My surgeries were a signal that better days were ahead. I did gain some weight because I wasn't moving much, but that temporary. Trust me, your pain will ease and you will move freer and better. Stay committed to your PT even after your formal sessions are done. I do so months after, they become part of my exercise regimen. You will see yourself getting better and before you know it you will be back to what you were doing before. You got this!!
  • jasira
    jasira Posts: 2 Member
    THANK YOU GUYS !!
  • Danicus10
    Danicus10 Posts: 31 Member
    Hey good Luck And keep on pushing forward. even in the toughest times when you think your failing just push and laugh in failures face. Stay Motivated!
  • I had a meniscus clean up surgery two months ago. Was off work for two weeks and gained the 15 lbs I had lost prior to surgery and then some. Trying to get myself motivated to working out again and properly planning my meals ahead of time, because that really helped me. Two weeks ago, I went on vacation and during an 8 mile bike ride, my boyfriend proposed to me. Now I really need to get back to my healthy mindset so I can lose weight for myself but also to look good in my wedding dress and to create a healthy lifestyle for my future husband and myself. But getting back into that mindset is really hard.
  • RenaSkam
    RenaSkam Posts: 16 Member
    I've had both hips replaced in the last 2 yrs & of course gained weight post-surgery, I've found the best exercise (for me) is swimming!! Start out slow & slowly you can add working with water-weights or maybe join a water aerobics class. The YMCA is perfect, mine here opens at 5:30am so I go every day before work, it's a perfect way to start my day. Week #2 and I'm down 7 lbs :) Best of luck to you on your journey!!!!
  • SummerSarosh
    SummerSarosh Posts: 16 Member
    I've been in a similar situation, so understand how hard it is to pull yourself out of it.
    Here if you ever need to chat. Good luck ❤️
  • teagrobert320
    teagrobert320 Posts: 11 Member
    Hey im currently in recovery from surgery, if u need help just friend me i have a youtube channel that can help
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    RenaSkam wrote: »
    I've had both hips replaced in the last 2 yrs & of course gained weight post-surgery, I've found the best exercise (for me) is swimming!! Start out slow & slowly you can add working with water-weights or maybe join a water aerobics class. The YMCA is perfect, mine here opens at 5:30am so I go every day before work, it's a perfect way to start my day. Week #2 and I'm down 7 lbs :) Best of luck to you on your journey!!!!

Indeed! As much as I have been in the pool, I have done very little actual swimming. I have been on a major roll walking and exercising in water. I have basically transferred my hip PT (which I still do) there. I have worked some other exercises and resistance devices into my routines. I will swim sooner or later. I guess I'm saving it in case I get bored with what I currently do 😉