How to train calf muscles for hiking?

Options
Background- I'm 34 and in relatively good shape. I work out 5-6 days a week including strength training, functional exercises, and various cardio like spinning, elliptical, speed walking, and some running.

I recently went on a 3-day, ~25 mile hike on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. I've done day hikes before, but this was my first multi-day. After the first day, my calves were super sore but still workable. After the second day, I was limping. I was able to get through the third day because we cut the hike short and took long breaks.

This is not the first time I've had severe calf soreness from hiking/walking. It happens every time I go on an active vacation. I do not live in an area where hiking regularly is an option. Is there a form of exercise I can do for my calves to keep the muscles strong and prevent this issue in the future? Doing calf raises is clearly not enough, and the rest of my muscles were fine.

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Hills are brutal! I could use some tips as well - my calves are in knots from a hilly 5k on Saturday!

I feel like jumping rope has helped, but not sure how much of that was calves vs. helping my weak ankles (both were a major issue for this same 5k last year). Mountain climbers maybe? That’s my next challenge to try...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I suspect the problem comes from going down hill.

Here's how to solve the problem ... climb stairs. Real stairs.

Day 1: Climb up 5 flights and most especially, down 5 flights.
    Day 2: Do it again. Do it for 5 days in a row.
    Next week: Climb 8 flights up and most especially down.
    Next week: Go for a couple days of 10 and 3 days of 12.
    Keep increasing till you can comfortably do 25 flights of stairs.

Now you're ready.

And if you have any doubts at all about the calf pain coming from walking down stairs ... go climb 15 flights of stairs on your first try - up and down. Then do it again the next day. You'll see. :naughty:

At one point about 3 years ago, I was up to 30-40 flights a day but that was a bit much for all the cycling I was also doing. I find that 25 flights, 5 times a weeks is good and lets me do other things.

Right now, I'm doing about 14-16 flights a day ... gradually building up again.

Incidentally, climbing stairs is also a great way to improve your climbing ability as a cyclist, especially when you don't have a lot of time for cycling like in the winter.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My calves gave me nothing but jip while marathon training (I live at the top of a hill, every long run involved multiple hills).
    Things that helped

Deep stretch sessions, not just the calves but also spending a good amount of time on the hips and hamstrings

Wearing compression socks for running, I guess they would work the same with hiking. That bit of support not only helps prevent aching but also helps in recovery.

Weighted calf raises, ensuring full range of motion, so dropping the heels as well as raising them
  • moonangel12
    Options
    Compression sleeves - yes! Forgot about those, but when I first started getting back into running I had a horrible time with my calves and shin splints, they help more than I would have ever imagined!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    No matter how fit we are, if we are going to be doing much more extra activity than normal we are going to feel it.
    OUCH to sore calves, I get awful shin splint pain when I over do things. Hot baths help.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What works for me is standing on the end of a step, lifting my bodyweight, slowly lowering and repeating. It seems to really help me build up my calves to endure long walks and hikes.

Also walking/running up and down stairs of a high school football stadium helps me as well.

Since doing the above regularly (along with stretching often) I no longer have issues with my calves.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Soreness is mostly from eccentric contraction, meaning the muscle is stretching under tension (as opposed to shortening). So when you're preparing for hiking in the weeks prior, do lots of jumping rope (or jump without rope), and also eccentric calf raises holding heavy weight.

The other thing is your shoes. Almost all shoes have a raised heel, which activates the calves more when walking, due to the plantarflexed (toe-down) foot position. You can reduce calf involvement (and toe blisters) by switching to a zero "heel-to-toe drop" shoe, sometimes called a zero "differential" (not to be confused with "minimalist" shoes, which have a thin sole). Altra Lone Peak 4 is a popular example.
    Occasionally people get Achilles tendonitis when walking too much too soon in zero-drop shoes, so ramp up slowly in duration, and also wear zero-drop shoes throughout the day, so your legs adapt. :+1:
  • moonangel12
    Options
    Miranda Esmonde White also has wonderful stretching videos (and is on PBS). Her style takes a little getting used to, but I have been using her videos for a few years.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Do you have any hills locally that you can climb regularly? Like anything else new it's best to start of slow and easy and gradually build up distances.

25 miles over 3 days doesn't sound terribly demanding if you've been getting regular hill workouts. Don't forget to take into account the amount of weight you may be carrying during the hike too, start off unweighted and add start putting some weight in your backpack.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Soreness is mostly from eccentric contraction, meaning the muscle is stretching under tension (as opposed to shortening). So when you're preparing for hiking in the weeks prior, do lots of jumping rope (or jump without rope), and also eccentric calf raises holding heavy weight.

The other thing is your shoes. Almost all shoes have a raised heel, which activates the calves more when walking, due to the plantarflexed (toe-down) foot position. You can reduce calf involvement (and toe blisters) by switching to a zero "heel-to-toe drop" shoe, sometimes called a zero "differential" (not to be confused with "minimalist" shoes, which have a thin sole). Altra Lone Peak 4 is a popular example.
    Occasionally people get Achilles tendonitis when walking too much too soon in zero-drop shoes, so ramp up slowly in duration, and also wear zero-drop shoes throughout the day, so your legs adapt. :+1:

I would only add to this. Train in your hiking boots and break them in before adding hills, rocks, and elevation. Work a stair climber/stairmaster or similar machine if you can't find someplace to actually hike.

A lot of the soreness comes from other places you may not be aware of - switching out socks, changing up lacing, getting the blood flowing by laying on your back and doing bicycle kicks or just raising your feet above your body center.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/lacing-hiking-boots.html

• EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the tips! Hope it helps for my next hike. 🤞
  • Marjael
    Marjael Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You could also add a few minutes of walking around barefoot on your toes and then a few minutes on you heels. I remember coaches having us do this in the grass after running workouts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Hill repeats, you must have hills nearby. Even Florida has overpasses.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    On a quick look, I don't see anyone saying: do more hiking. There's no better way to train for something than to do it regularly. Before you go on a 3 day hike, you should go on several 1 day hikes, and before that, you should go on several 1 hour hikes.

Put on the boots and walk around the neighborhood, particularly up and down hills. Carry extra weight in a good back pack.

If there's no way to hike near you, walking on a treadmill with a steep incline would suffice (maybe with weight). But you need to work it up to a significant amount of time, like an hour.

Best of luck!
  • mthwbrwn
    mthwbrwn Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've done many urban hikes in preparation for hiking in the wilderness. I load the backpack with 10% more than the weight I would expect to bring backpacking. It really is the only thing that will simulate the long term fatigue that you are going to experience walking several miles in the wilderness under load.

Also, I have had my share of hiking partners who have had issues with their calves. The majority, in addition to not being accustomed to the exertion, seemed to also have some element of electrolyte imbalance or heat-related swelling. A little extra potassium and salt in your water (or food) helps to balance things as walking outdoors increases perspiration while a hiker (usually) increases water intake.

Its use is controversial, but I always bring quinine pills in my hiking first aid kit. That and Benadryl. Both are useful for leg cramps. The Benadryl is esp. good for getting restful sleep if you are itchy and sore and not used to outdoor sleeping.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    mthwbrwn wrote: »
    Its use is controversial, but I always bring quinine pills in my hiking first aid kit. That and Benadryl. Both are useful for leg cramps. The Benadryl is esp. good for getting restful sleep if you are itchy and sore and not used to outdoor sleeping.

Or a flask. Or smokables/edibles. (I have a friend that likes to do winter camping by hiking in a bunch of beer up a mountain. But that's 90-95% water!)
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I've created your hiking program:

Often if you're getting soreness in that region then it could be a support muscle such as the tibialis or the "Shin" area. The best advice I've learned over the years is to:

1) Sit on a chair
    2) Keep your back Straight
    3) keep your knees bent at 90 degrees
    4) Lift your feet one at a time flexing at the ankle upwards, you will definitely feel the burn if your doing it right do 25 to 40
    5) take rest and repeat

I have learned to call these "Toe Taps"

You saying your other muscles are okay is obviously incorrect. If you are experiencing calf soreness this means your supporting muscles are taking the day off and leaving your calves to do the brunt of the work... my next suggestion is to start doing full compound movements: Squats are the prescribed medicine here...

1) Select an appropriate weight on the Squat rack
    2) Select a weight that you can do Endurance Reps with x15 to x20
    3) Perform endurance Reps but at the end of the movement lift up on to Your tippy toes to load your Shin muscles

The next one I have for you is to "power walk" on the treadmill at a ridiculously challenging incline... just grind that big incline

My final suggestion for you is to experiment with your footwear selection, all hiking boots are very different in response to different terrain...

All the best mate :)