Battling Cancer

Options
I’m 62 years old and have been trying to lose weight all of my life. However, I find myself in a new and unusual position right now. I’m battling cancer and undergoing radiation therapy. Have lost 6# in three weeks and my doctor is not happy with me.

Nothing tastes good as the radiation has temporarily destroyed my taste buds. It will be short lived but for the next several months taste is tough. Has anyone in this community researched the best protein or dietary supplements to help boost calories throughout the day?

Looking for ideas and appreciate any suggestions. The best news in all of this is that the cancer is expected to be fully eradicated by the radiation so a few months of treatments is well worth the long run!!

Thanks in advance!
Jan

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are battling cancer and its great that the prognosis is positive.

When my father was through chemo/radiation he just ate pretty much what he could stomach, and that was mostly bacon sandwiches (or if from the UK bacon butties). Occasionally he could stomach custard.

If its taste buds that is the issue as opposed to nausea/vomiting it may be case of having to eat even it doesn't taste good. Nutrition/energy is key to helping overcome the radiation and ultimately the cancer.

• petitchatnoir41
    petitchatnoir41 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have heard drinking meal supplement shakes can help. If you are in America, try Ensure and get the ones for those who want to gain or maintain weight.
  • ookoolady
    ookoolady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I was on chemotherapy for ovarian cancer, I mostly ate watermelon because that was the only thing that appealed to me. I would also drink a bottle of Boost for the protein.