School Mascots that are Lacking...

Options
Ashkea76
Ashkea76 Posts: 7,108 Member
Is it too hard to ask for a Mascot that brings a sense of fear to your opponent?

So, if you had your choice, and you lived in Oregon (as I did years ago) and worked in the beautiful town of Corvallis, it always made me wonder, given the choice between OSU or U of O, would you choose being a Beaver, or a Duck?

Or, if you'd like to do your mascot proud, go ahead and list your odd school mascot. (my high school ones were either the Raiders or the Grizzlies, so both of those were pretty good ones)

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love beaver
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    There is a small town in Texas, near Austin named Hutto, and their HS mascot is a Hippo. Seriously. What girl would want to play basketball there and be known as the Lady Hippos??

My daughter teaches HS in a town next to them, and they are the Ducks. Her school before that one, were the Foxes.

So no striking fear with any of those names.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Lived in the lovely town of Bonanza, Oregon (seriously, it's embarrassing to have a diploma from Bonanza High School), where our school mascot was "The Antlers". Bonanza Antlers. Seriously. Not Deer, but Antlers. Apparently it was Bucks and Does (which still aren't exactly intimidating) but they changed it to Antlers. Horrible.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Lacking-my h.s. was home of the "running reds"
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My high school mascot was a nighthawk, pretty cool name but it's a tiny, little bird. The school got the idea from an old Stallone movie back in the eighties.
  • Ashkea76
    Options
    the OSU Beaver Fight Song (in case you were curious)

O.S.U. our hats are off to you.
    Beavers, Beavers, fighters through and through.
    We’ll cheer through-out the land,
    We’ll root for every stand,
    That’s made for old O.S.U. Rah-rah-rah

Watch our team go tearing down the field.
    Those of iron, their strength will never yield.
    Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail!
    Hail to old O.S.U.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine worked at OSU. His kid went to U of O. I'm told there was some bitter rivalry in that household for a while.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with Swoop the eagle for Eastern Michigan. However the Eagles name is so generic, the mascot is also generic as it looks similar to many other mascots on other levels of athletics and the football team has only won 44 games since 1988... not exactly the football powerhouse
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern Minnesota and my kids' mascot is a SPUD. Yes as in the potato. How do you hold your head up to that? I can just hear the rival teams shouting, "We will We will MASH you! Mash you!". The name is even stupider when you consider the fact this is not IDAHO home of the potato, but northern Minnesota. LOL
  • Ashkea76
    Options
    A friend of mine worked at OSU. His kid went to U of O. I'm told there was some bitter rivalry in that household for a while.

yes, they are BITTER rivals, and it always cracked me up....2 of the most...unassuming mascots "Battling" it out....lol
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Husband had Monarchs... Not as in kings but as in BUTTERFLIES!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i don'y rember my high school team i really don't think we had one we were the mifits that nobody wanted

th?id=H.4781446488326478&pid=1.7

funny_sports_mascot_ma102.jpg

th?id=H.5059429627921387&pid=1.7
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    I will go with Beaver! Can't go wrong there!!!:)

The Rocks was my High School nickname!!!! And yes there was someone that dressed like a rock!
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    We don't do the school mascot thing in the UK. I would go with Beaver :)
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    One town near me is home of the pretzels....Go Pretzels!!!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    A friend was telling me that in a the town that neighbored the one he grew up in, they were the Bunnies. I can't remember where at in IL it was though. But um Bunnies?

And then not far from me in Wisconsin we have the Kaukauna Ghosts. And not the scary kind, their mascot looks more like Casper.
  • Ashkea76
    Options
    Since I posted the Beaver Fight Song, figured I should probably post the Duck's Fight Song.

Here you go:

Oregon, our Alma Mater,
    We will guard thee on and on,
    Let us gather 'round and cheer her,
    Chant her glory, Oregon!
    Roar the praises of her warriors,
    Sing the story, Oregon,
    On to vict'ry urge the heroes
    Of our Mighty Oregon!

Go! Ducks! Go!
    Fight! Ducks! Fight!
    Go!
    Fight!
    Win! Ducks! Win!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I was given a beaver beanie by a friend from OSU years ago when I met her in a conference. I wore it a lot because it was orange which is one of my own school colors. But it is sure a conversation starter cause we don't see many beavers on the east coast.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    I was a pretty damn good swimmer in high school. We were the Red Devils. We called our pool the Boiler Room.

As far as U of O? Hmmm........both creatures are beautiful......but I have to go with Beaver because those little fellas work their *kitten* off. In fact.........I honestly wouldn't mind being reincarnated as a beaver.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    How ironic......I used the word damn to describe myself as a swimmer and beavers are swimmers that make devilish dams.........so there ya have it.