Rice!

Can someone help me!
like i’m not sure if the brand of rice going by the cooked or uncooked coz i have like 60/70g of uncooked rice and it’s made like 250g of cooked, so if i put 60g in my fitness pal it’s 87 calories and 19 grams of carbs but then i try 250g and that’s 360 calories and 80 grams of carbs but i dunno if my fitness pal thinks i’m making 250g of uncooked and why it’s so high or maybe it just is so high in calories ???

Replies

• Thormodo
    Thormodo Posts: 8 Member
    The only way people can actually answer this question is if you post a picture of the label of the rice you're using.

For reference, any rice that I can buy here (Netherlands) is around 350 kcal (+/- 20) per 100 gram (uncooked).
    So to me either number you're mentioning seems odd.
  • a1meegaviiinx
    a1meegaviiinx Posts: 7 Member
    here is the imagine, can you explain if that’s cooked or uncooked and if i should put the cooked or uncooked weight into the app.
  • a1meegaviiinx
    This one for example. Is this the uncooked weight?
  • a1meegaviiinx
    here’s the image
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited October 2019
    yours says cooked... problem with cooked is, depending how much water it soaks up the weight will differ, where as uncooked will always be the same. In this case enter 70 grams uncooked and should be close.

It looks like you entered 60 grams of cooked rice in the database if it only had 19 carbs. enter 60-70 grams uncooked, or 250 grams cooked. just find the entry that says uncooked or cooked when you do that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You posted two different images.

The first says on the package "cooked" so you weigh it cooked.
    The second says on the package "as sold" so you weigh it right out of the bag.

There are entries in the database for both cooked and dry. It is better to weigh dry because you don't have to worry about differences in how much water gets absorbed during cooking, but the important thing is to pick the right entry for the state you weighed it in.

At least in the US, if the package doesn't specify, the nutrition info is for raw/dry/as is. If the nutrition info is for cooked, it will usually say "as prepared" or something like that. I'm not sure if that is true in other countries though.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Did you weigh it or just estimate it? It is best to weigh dry if you can, as the cooked weight will vary based on water absorbtion.

Rice is aprroximately 190 calories for every 50 grams dried. So 60-70 grams dry would be 228-256 calories. Most calculations use a 3 to 1 conversion for dry to cooked. So putting 250 grams cooked should give you around 320 calories. But some cooked conversions vary slightly differently.

For 60-70 grams of dry rice to get to 250 grams cooked, you'd have to have rice that absorbed more water than is traditionally normal. That's why you should always weigh and log dry if you are cooking yourself.

Your serving of rice was at least a couple of hundred calories though. Rice dry is almost pure carbs, which is why it is close to 4 calories per gram of dry weight.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    With the rices I use, one cup of dry rice equals 4 servings of cooked.

So, after I cook, I separate into four containers and enter my one serving into mfp when I eat it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    The packages you showed had the cals for 100 g at 145 and 360.

The first (145) seems to say "as cooked" and the second "as sold" (so dry).

That is also consistent with the calories given -- around 145 cal for 100 g of cooked rice makes sense, and so does 360 cal for 100 g of uncooked rice.

If you have 65 g of uncooked rice, that's about 234 cals. (250 g of cooked--assuming you don't know the dry weight--would be estimated at about 362, but that's a big increase if you started with only 65 g, so I'd question the accuracy of one of those weights. On the whole, it's easier to use a dry weight when possible, as there is less variation.)