Just signed to the app!!!!

Ok joined up yesterday and love how the app and all its features work, I know I’m gona find this very useful. Be nice to chat to new people along the way and hear your stories. So I started the year with a resolution of taking up running which I have stuck to and can now say that running is my thing only I’ve had to have a break from it as lately I’ve been getting some sharp pain in my shins which came on a while ago and has gradually gotten worse over time so I’m gona try 2-4 weeks off and see how things go as I’ve been told it’s shin splints.... any advice guys on this would be much appreciated. Around six months ago I also started exercise workouts and stretch routines for mornings and evenings that I’ve kinda put together myself from watching tons of YouTube videos and just adding what I think suits me, so far so good. With what I’ve been doing since beginning I have had good improvements as I’ve lost weight and also tonnes up, got a six pack now too just need a bit more toning around the waist area to get where I wana be. I’m not looking to get bigger just toned all over and looking good. I’m at the stage now where I really need to work on my diet as it is not good, the only supplement I’m taking at the moment is protein shakes but I want to start to add more to my diet and start eating healthily, this is where I’m hoping the app is gona help. If anyone reads this and has some info for me on eating healthy and dieting for a beginner I’m all ears and would welcome anyone’s advice so hopefully someone will read this and I’ll get to chat with like minded people who have been on the same journey, thanks!!!!

Replies

• mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Welcome. As someone who has lost over 80 lbs AND kept it off for more than 6 years there are a few pieces of advice that I can give (it worked for me). Don't diet - diets don't work. There is lots written now about it being a lifestyle and that is in fact true. What we do to lose weight is basically what we'll do forever. That's one reason I'm not a fan of the fad diets that are too restrictive.

Since this is for life, there is no rush. Take it slow. Make small sustainable changes and as those become a habit, add one or two more. Don't change everything at once. Do exercise(s) that you like! and when your body tells you to rest, listen. Maybe now is the time to take up swimming or something that won't make the shin splints worse.

Tracking your food is key and the research bears that out. MFP is really good with what seems like millions of entries.

Personally I don't use the community feature here that much. I find the one on Sparkpeople.com to be really good and their articles are excellent. Good supplement/complement to this site.

Good luck! Martha
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    dazaheath wrote: »
    Ok joined up yesterday and love how the app and all its features work, I know I’m gona find this very useful. Be nice to chat to new people along the way and hear your stories. So I started the year with a resolution of taking up running which I have stuck to and can now say that running is my thing only I’ve had to have a break from it as lately I’ve been getting some sharp pain in my shins which came on a while ago and has gradually gotten worse over time so I’m gona try 2-4 weeks off and see how things go as I’ve been told it’s shin splints.... any advice guys on this would be much appreciated. Around six months ago I also started exercise workouts and stretch routines for mornings and evenings that I’ve kinda put together myself from watching tons of YouTube videos and just adding what I think suits me, so far so good. With what I’ve been doing since beginning I have had good improvements as I’ve lost weight and also tonnes up, got a six pack now too just need a bit more toning around the waist area to get where I wana be. I’m not looking to get bigger just toned all over and looking good. I’m at the stage now where I really need to work on my diet as it is not good, the only supplement I’m taking at the moment is protein shakes but I want to start to add more to my diet and start eating healthily, this is where I’m hoping the app is gona help. If anyone reads this and has some info for me on eating healthy and dieting for a beginner I’m all ears and would welcome anyone’s advice so hopefully someone will read this and I’ll get to chat with like minded people who have been on the same journey, thanks!!!!

I used to run and the same thing happened to me after a while. I took some time off and put a lot of attention into stretching daily, until the pain went away, and then eased back in gradually, and it never bothered me again. I think it was just too much too quickly.

Good luck with your journey, don't be scared to build some muscle!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member

Shin splits are usually a sign that you have worn out your runners and you need to invest in a new pair. No harm in getting a new pair of runners, trying them out and see if the shin splits disappear.
  • dazaheath
    dazaheath Posts: 7 Member
    Hey, thanks for the advice makes sense, I’ve been thinking of starting swimming now for a while so maybe I’ll take it up now I’m having a break from the running.
    Thanks!!!!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I had shin splints really bad when I first started back running last year - I got new shoes and also spent a few months changing my stride (from a heel strike to more mid foot). Also, compression sleeves help as well!
  • dazaheath
    dazaheath Posts: 7 Member
    Yeah shin splits are a real nightmare they’ve really messed up my running I’ve had days when I’m out and they have really hurt but I’m the type that once I start a run I have to finish it even though my shins have hurt but thing is there I’m probably doing way more harm than good and that’s why I decided to take a break for a while just hope I can get back in to it without the pain. As for my treads they are wearing out so maybe it’s time I should get a new pair.
    Thanks
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Yeah shin splits are a real nightmare they’ve really messed up my running I’ve had days when I’m out and they have really hurt but I’m the type that once I start a run I have to finish it even though my shins have hurt but thing is there I’m probably doing way more harm than good and that’s why I decided to take a break for a while just hope I can get back in to it without the pain. As for my treads they are wearing out so maybe it’s time I should get a new pair.
    Thanks

No harm in getting a gait test done in a runner shop to see what runners best suit your feet.