Needing to get my groove back!

aggiesaffections
aggiesaffections Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2019 in Introduce Yourself
I’m in my early 50’s and beginning to feel it. I’m overweight, feeling old and I’ve decided that I need to make a change. My daughter told me about this app and at the very least, it’s helping me be more aware about what I’m eating and got me even thinking about (O.M.G.!) maybe exercising. Nothing crazy but walking to start? If you’ve been here before or are where I’m at right now, I could use all the advice, encouragement, kindness, jokes... whatever, just help a girl out! Thanks for your time in reading this post. It’s a minute of your time, that sadly, you’ll never get back. :/

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    You never get any minutes back, if you spent them learning something then you did well and I feel I learnt something about you so all is well with the world :)

Check out the discussion threads in the community and you can do searches for 'over 50' or find topics you are keen on that others share an interest in.

Joining MFP is a great start though so many drop out after 1 day, 1 week, or 1 month. If you are overweight and want to lose weight more than you want your old lifestyle you definitely will and you are in the right place to do it!
  • tallbanyan
    tallbanyan Posts: 65 Member
    joining the journey from the start myself! Good luck :)
  • aggiesaffections
    aggiesaffections Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks, Mr. Wobbly, for the advice and the smile on my face from the kind words. I hope I won’t be one of the ones to fall by the wayside. Yes, the app is a novelty but it seems to have the right combination of tools to keep me interested. And if I keep getting the encouragement from nice people like you, then that should keep me coming back. Have a great day!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Also early 50s, now in the maintenance and fine tweeking stage, feeling fabulous, and wearing things I wouldn't have worn 10 years ago. You've got this... put your stats in, set a reasonable goal, log meticulously, trust the process.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited October 2019
    I have been there. If you are otherwise healthy (I'll explain shortly), walking is THE best way to start. You can safely do it anywhere, anytime. You can do it as a social activity or as a solo. As you get more comfortable and confident you can then expand and add things, especially activities and exercises you've been known to enjoy (for me at the moment that is pool exercise, activity). That and continued use of MFP or similar apps to monitor and tweat diet and nutrition will absolutely put you on the course you want.
    General health: Prior to the winter and spring of 2019, for countless number of years despite my protestations and most labworks, I just wasn't healthy at all. The root of my issues beyond BP, cholesterol, A1C, which has been borderline, just barely avoiding active treatment has been deteriorating joints notably hips. For years, my mobility grew worse and worse and ANY exercise tried was fraught with discomfort and difficulty including normal everyday walking! And for the same amount of time I lived in denial about it all and resisted seeking specialized care while seeing my weight go up despite calorie monitoring which eventually disappeared except for sugar intake. Then I got "woke" late last year and decided "enough's enough!!". I saw a surgeon ("Most severe" is the two word summary for that appointment) and I got my hips replaced in January and April. Once through rehab and PT for each, I made another decision: "I ain't never willingly going back to my state of being as it was a year ago!!" I haven't looked back since. I have dropped at least 30 lbs since last Dr. visit in May. I have my next appointment in November and I am seriously looking for those lab numbers to be phenomenol!!
    Ordinarily, I would apologize for long wordiness. Not this time. I think mine is an inspiring story that all should see. The bottomline summary for you is "YOU CAN DO THIS!!