Thinking you are too far gone

Hello all.
Second time on this app and seeing a lot of changes, I suddenly have a strange feeling on putting on some under armour gear... This has been a challenging couple of weeks getting back into the swing of things after being in shape for a large part of my adult life got married to woman that liked to eat, and at one point or another I just stop caring. So now I am faced with 80lbs that need to go! I have tried before, and have come quite close to my goal but at some point I revert back to the same bad habits that led me to write this post. So there is a fear in the back of my head that this will be the same case... this feeling is exacerbated by the fact that for the first time I started accepting myself as overweight, and thinking this is the rest of my life... might as well accept it cause I was too far gone. And while I’ll admit that the first thing that got me back working out is vanity, I have to say that the feeling of accomplishment when you see those pounds melt away is amazing! So hard to describe to somebody that hasn’t been through it. This led me to a realization in the way I view and the relationship I have with food... understanding that is not a reward and it’s not some form of prize. Food is food, and while enjoyable for some us it doesn’t work the same way. And it’s not that you can’t eat anything you want either, is that you should love yourself enough to not to do it... I haven’t had a real carb in a month, and while I am not into sweets I do enjoy fruits, rice, quinoa and bread. A month ago this would’ve seen insurmountable, but it isn’t. And that’s the thing I got about this, I don’t need to be afraid of failing cause is not contingent on some external factor... it solely depends on me. And I am not too far gone, nobody is... because the battle is not physical even though that’s were you see the results this entire process is about rediscovering yourself, seeing what you are made of! Liking yourself! Valuing your life! Do it for you!

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,508 Member
    edited October 2019
    You are in the same place as so many. We have been conditioned from birth that sweet and fattening foods are a reward. Your birthday - when you get cake, did well at school - go to your favourite burger joint, need cheering up after a break up - let's get ice cream. Everyone did the same.

You don't need to be afraid of what you eat. I am having a carb heavy day though a lot is through veg and fruit and I will be under my net calorie goal, my carbs for the week will be on target - all is good for me. What is important is to keep this as a lifestyle change. If you do not intend to avoid carbs forever then you need to find a way to have them as part of your diet so you don't binge the first opportunity you get. There is nothing I am doing now that I cannot keep going once I reach my maintenance weight.

This is my third time of trying on MFP, the difference this time is it is just me. Previously it was as part of a group and as each one dropped out so did my will power. This time I am on my own, doing it for me, 3 stone down since May and ready to lose at least another two.

If you want to be healthy and at least attempt to live better more than you want your old lifestyle or that piece of cake (or whole cake as it sometimes was) then you will lose weight. Keeping it off is another step on MFP until you train your body how to keep it off forever.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    @TheMrWobbly that was so well written and I agree 100% and well done!!

@cremaster welcome back!!! Are you low carb for health reasons?
  • cremaster
    cremaster Posts: 16 Member
    No, I just find that is the thing that works the best for me, specially when I feel like going off the rails, an omelet or a piece of meat does the trick. I am not big into sweets so it’s an advantage, but of course the moment you think you can’t eat something you start wanting it lol! That’s why I am trying to base it on my health this time, trying to do it for future me. Keep up keeping up, and thanks for reading!!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    No one is ever too far gone. Everyone is worth it.

Sounds like you have found something that works for you which is awesome. It's great to set and reach goals. I apparently am goal oriented so I need to have something I'm working toward. Sounds like you have the right attitude and you're making yourself worthy of not giving up on.