jealous issues please help :(

Options
So I decided to watch what I eat and workout I've lost 22lbs so far and all of a sudden my husband who doesn't have much to lose decides to do it too and is losing weight like uber fast and I hate feeling this way but It makes me mad! He eats like way healthier salads and chicken only every day and only water and its making me feel bad cuz I have 100+ to lose and I can't seem to lose it I hit 22lbs lost and haven't been able to lose more. I get out of breath working out so I don't do more then 15 or 20 min workouts I'm just feeling hopeless :( I hate beg jealous of my husband I feel like he's getting slim and I'm stuck as some fat pig.

Replies

• nicolecafarella
    nicolecafarella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean. My hubby is naturally tall and slim, so when he eats healthy and works out he sees results immediately. I have about 25 lbs to lose to get to my happy weight, which leaves me curvy and fit but not "skinny" by any means. I usually get jealous, but I am trying to combat it by bring confident that I will reach my goal and we ill be a super hot couple when I am done. I even help meal plan for him. It is easier that we are trying to be healthier together.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you're hitting a plateau try upping your calories. I didn't believe people when they said that would help but it honestly does. Also make sure your daily net isn't under 1000 calories. Or try switching up your diet routine? Try adding some new veggies or fruits? A little competition is great, try to hold competitions each weigh in day and whoever loses the least has to give a back rub?! ;D It'll give you motivation to lose each week to beat him. BUT never be jealous, be proud that you both are starting healthier life styles, and support each other! The only person you should ever REALLY be in competition with is the person looking back at you in the mirror! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You press on. Jealousy doesn't help with weight loss unless you're using it as inspiration to do more than you can now. Men usually lose faster than women on average because of hormones. You can't do anything to change that factor, so just be concerned with how you are doing with what you need to do to reach your goals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.I've dealt with that in the past.not now, but after I had my Son. I felt so angry when my husband would lose and I wouldn't. It really upset me and I ended up giving up at that time.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's not a competition. you and your husband are partners, not competitors. Maybe your efforts to get healthy have inspired him to do the same. Think of yourself as his inspiration, not your rival. Think of women whose husbands are not getting healthy while they are and they worry about their husband's health all this time.

also, it's not a race. Don't try to lose the weight quickly.... try to lose it slowly and steadily. Maybe you can't get past 22lb because you're trying to lose it quickly, making things too hard for yourself, then having trouble staying on track.... go for slow and steady fat loss while enjoying what you eat, and find forms of exercise you will enjoy and stick to. You don't have to give up any foods, but the foods you really love, try to fit them in your calories by having them less often in smaller portions. and focus on the long term.... focus on how once you get to your goal weight, you'll maintain it for life, because you made sustainable changes in your lifestyle that you'll be able to stick to. And use your husband for support... maybe share those salads with him, or do some kinds of exercise you both enjoy together. Honestly, a long term healthy lifestyle is easier if your partner is also into it as well.... some women really want to work out with their husbands but all he wants to do is sit on the couch, watch TV and eat junkfood in front of them....
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Getting out of breath is good, means you are working hard enough to tax your body.

I am the same though, i can walk for more than 20 minutes, but I do a lot of rowing and I can only manage about 20-23 minutes max. BUT, I try to do 2 or 3 rowing sessions a day.

Maybe that would be an idea to just do an extra 20 minutes exercise session a day?

Obviously that alone won't lose the weight, you do have to remedy your food intake, so maybe try to emulate the stuff your husband eats?

I don't know, but maybe he is dieting to encourage you and help keep you on the right track and not tempt you with bad food etc? Anyway, I don't think there is anything better than your significant other standing shoulder to shoulder with you on the same journey, it is supportive and encouraging and certainly beats having to sit and watch him eat whatever he wants while you are trying to regulate your food.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Focus on you sweetie!!! Im sorry you feel jealous. I think that would change if you didnt feel stuck in a rut. FIGHT YOUR WAY OUT GIRL!!! YOU CAN break through that plateau. I see a lot of GREAT tips here for you to try. The KEY is NEVER give uo and keep going. I have to remind myself its not a race. As long as its steady Im ok with slow. KEEP GOING!!!