Inside Out

Options
isalsayourface123
isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
I know. The movie is old. But I just worked through a therapeutic exercise and was curious to some mfp responses.

Who is your inner personalities/characters/voices? Some are fun and positive. Some are mean. Some are crazy.

Give them a name. What do they tell you?

Ex: coach- always says he's proud of me. Cheers me on. Points out all the good things I did.

Or

Crazy yoggi. Cigarette hangs from his mouth. He stumbles around encouraging me to relax with a drink. He points out how hard i worked and insists i skip my workout and get centered and balanced with a Netflix binge and pizza.

Replies

• isalsayourface123
    Options
    Teacher. Lays out pics, graphs, data. Helps me see how far I've come. All the little gains and progress I've made. Encourages me to take more baby steps in the right direction.
  • isalsayourface123
    Options
    Bully- laughs at me everytime I think im looking cute. Pokes me in the belly and says you sure you want to eat that laughing? Snickers at me as I stumble through my workout...probably she purposely tripped me.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Nerd - Likes to avoid sunlight. Only comes out at night. Avoids mirrors. Likes red flavored drinks. Stays up all night killing defeating people around the world in an endless game. Has pointy teeth (I bite my tongue a lot).
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Einstein-y guy who never shuts up. Always asking questions. How about this? Why isn't this working? If I try this, what are the possible outcomes? Why can't I figure this out? What's the answer? What's the best way? The most efficient solution? What's this mean? And on and on and on...
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Cat lady - ooooooh a cat! I wonder what my cat is doing! Kitty kisses! Aw look, it's mad! Kisses! Here's a treat for screaming at me! Ow! I love you! Kisses! Look at it sleep! Time for a picture! Which hat should I put on it? Cute! Kisses! I want another cat! I wonder if my cat will get jealous of a new cat. Cute!
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I could either post this SUPER long post here about the one thing that I've personified, or I could simply post "potatoes" and I think I'm going with potatoes this time around. I'm suddenly so tired
  • mtndewme
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    I could either post this SUPER long post here about the one thing that I've personified, or I could simply post "potatoes" and I think I'm going with potatoes this time around. I'm suddenly so tired

Please give the forums content
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Love that movie! Gets so emotional towards the end.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    One is a kind, soothing, confidant or maybe wise voice that says stuff like

"it's gonna be ok, stop worrying so much, especially about dumb stuff"

"enjoy your days and all of your time! You're fortunate!"

"bad days/things will happen, try to appreciate the good days/things more"

"listen to yourself, you know what to do"
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I don't know if there is a name for it yet but I'd be a Catsup Wrangler. Because I really like organizing Catsup. I even go as far as going to restaurants and "wrangling" the catsup that people leave at their table after they eat (waiters don't like me).
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    One is a man singing Italian opera
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    One is a voice of judgement

"thats not worthy of ingestion, don't do it, you'll regret it"

"being late is not acceptable, get to work on time, or you deserve to be fired, you are replaceable"

"your spelling is so awful, how did you make it through school?"

"oh you're tired huh? The day is sucking for you? Serves you right, get your dumb *kitten* to bed at a reasonable time"
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Here's the tl;dr version: "My Dark Mistress" is what I refer to depression as, as a whole

All the text (and probably a pic) will be behind the spoiler button so people on phones don't have to scroll for three years to get past it every time they reload the page. I sincerely hope this works
    When I was first diagnosed with depression, I'd already been fighting it for years without knowing what it was. I just knew that I'd get these really, *really* dark moods that I just couldn't seem to shake no matter what I tried. I mean, I was used to getting into funks like that--but they'd never last more than a few days, maybe a week at max. And they weren't ALL that frequent. Then in 2011 I had one of those moods that just grabbed hold and wouldn't let go, and after about 2.5 months I was ready to do ANYTHING to escape the constant feelings of exhaustion and all the other nonsense that comes along with depression.

I'm wordy, so every story is long--but skipping a lot of the details, I eventually decided that it was time to seek some professional help as I wasn't sure that I could continue the battle on my own. I started seeing a psychologist, specifically because I did *not* want to start using brain meds.

During this time, I started learning some techniques for coping. I was also using writing as an outlet for any feelings that I wasn't sure how to handle, or couldn't quite deal with...getting them out onto the page seemed to help a lot. I started diving heavily into poetry on Twitter, because 1) I found it challenging to take a feeling or idea and put it into words with an enforced character limit and 2) If I was somewhere that I didn't have a lot of time, but I really felt the need to get something out, I could drop something on Twitter and it helped, somehow.

As I became more cognizant of my cycles of depression, I began to see patterns. I'd start doing better, and sometimes it would feel like depression would totally blindside me--but other times, I'd see myself giving in to things. Like, I'd been practicing mental exercises to stave off negative thoughts, and had been doing quite well at it, but then I'd recognize some and instead of forcing myself to fix them, I'd just...leave them. A little self-flagellation here and there should be OK, right?

Except every time I'd fall into the darkness, once I was there I'd just wish I could get out. It's not quite an out-of-body experience, but it's more like my brain would get rewired and things that a normal, logical me wouldn't even consider would suddenly start feeling logical. I'd wallow in the negative thoughts, my energy level would drop precipitously--you know, all that business that (once again) goes along with depression.

It's not so much that I couldn't see the right decisions--it's that I'd stop caring about making the good decisions. The literal version of "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" in the sense that I could know 100% that an exercise routine and getting more sleep would help me break the funk I was in....but I didn't care enough to do those things.

When I think of that mindset, what jumps to mind is that it feels like the very definition of "wallowing."

So...the personification? It's My Dark Mistress. I started writing her into some poems because it felt like an unhealthy relationship that I can't seem to escape from--because part of me doesn't want to. The revelation earlier this year that I might be addicted to a certain level of sadness kinda rocked my world, but it makes sense.

See, My Dark Mistress is seductive. She knows what I like, and she offers it to me--just a little bit at a time. Sometimes she's so subtle that I don't even realize that she's there, that I'm listening to her whispers, that I'm allowing myself to indulge a little at first, then maybe a little too much.

Anyway, to that end, I'll throw a few of the poems in here too because *why not* at this point. If you've read this far, you're in for the long haul anyway, so there all represented various times and feelings over the past few years.

Call my soul
    oh Crow
    Take me away
    from the clutches
    of my dark mistress
    Silence her whispers
    And remove her choking hands
    from my throat

There she is again
    My Dark Mistress
    Her golden goblet
    adorned with onyx
    and filled
    with unwanted memories
    She offers it
    A willing seduction

Sleep grants no reprieve
    Exhaustion
    My sole companion
    heralds the arrival
    of My Dark Mistress
    who offers the seduction
    of feeling
    once again

And finally....

Sometimes
    I like to crawl to the edge
    Peer over the precipice
    into the shadows below
    And feel the cold tendrils
    of darkness
    caressing my face
    As My Dark Mistress
    calls my name again
    Always there
    Always waiting
    but held at bay
    by things outside of her control
    But sometimes
    it's comforting
    to know that she still wants me
    That she still needs me
    Solace in death
    the sleep
    forever at the gateway

• J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

When Joy is with Bing Bong trying to get out I teared up.

When Riley breaks down at the end I sobbed uncontrollably thinking of my kids when they were younger. Dear god that was a great movie!
  • mtndewme
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    Sometimes
    I like to crawl to the edge
    Peer over the precipice
    into the shadows below
    And feel the cold tendrils
    of darkness
    caressing my face
    As My Dark Mistress
    calls my name again
    Always there
    Always waiting
    but held at bay
    by things outside of her control
    But sometimes
    it's comforting
    to know that she still wants me
    That she still needs me
    Solace in death
    the sleep
    forever at the gateway

[/spoiler]

I really like this last poem.
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    J_NY_Z wrote: »

When Riley breaks down at the end I sobbed uncontrollably thinking of my kids when they were younger. Dear god that was a great movie!

Yes!! Those two scenes were heart-wrenching. It’s like the first 10 minutes of “Up” all over again.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

Yes!! Those two scenes were heart-wrenching. It’s like the first 10 minutes of “Up” all over again.

I'm at work and i can't hold it together.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2CJ46XkwxA
  • isalsayourface123
    Options

I'm at work and i can't hold it together.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2CJ46XkwxA

I honestly have never seen the movie but I would like to now. I'm pretty sure this is how my brain works.
  • isalsayourface123
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    One is a voice of judgement

"thats not worthy of ingestion, don't do it, you'll regret it"

"being late is not acceptable, get to work on time, or you deserve to be fired, you are replaceable"

"your spelling is so awful, how did you make it through school?"

"oh you're tired huh? The day is sucking for you? Serves you right, get your dumb *kitten* to bed at a reasonable time"

Yes. :( I could do really well at my diet or workout and judgement will come in pointing out all the ways I did wrong.

That's where I hope my 'coach' steps in and points at all the things I did right :)