Why can I only do pushups after a workout?

I've discovered something odd and it's really bugging me because I don't know why it's happening.

I can only do pushups after my normal 3x/week workout of 30 min full-body calisthenics. I did 5 pushups with perfect form, nose to the floor, after my workout on Monday. Tuesday I wanted to see how many I could do without being tired from a workout and I couldn't do a single one! Today after my normal workout I again did 5 perfect pushups with no problem.

It's not due to soreness because I'm not sore on my off days. Is it because I need to be super warmed up in order to do them? If not, what gives??

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Yes probably has to do with being fully warmed up and stretched. I notice I hit my peak after about the first 15 or so minutes of heavy warmup. There are things I will do better then than when I am cold. So while pushups personally are not necessarily one of those things (although I can do them at least as well at the end of a 90 minute class than at the beginning), it can be different things for different people.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Really shows the value of a good warmup, doesn't it?
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Really shows the value of a good warmup, doesn't it?

Apparently! My original fitness goal was to be able to do pushups. Now I'm revising my goal to doing pushups on demand!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Mcwi3681 wrote: »
    My original fitness goal was to be able to do pushups. Now I'm revising my goal to doing pushups on demand!

Careful, injuries have happened from not being warmed up - especially when doing deep pushups like you do, which is harder on the shoulder (stopping with elbows at back level is safer). A warmup could be a set or two of hand-elevated pushups, like on stairs or chairs. :+1:
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I find exercises get easier once all the little stabilizer muscles have kicked in. I can think I warmed up well, but it's usually halfway through my workout that things feel much more solid.