Discouragement

I need some advice. What do you do when your family members and loved ones still tease you about being overweight or about the way my body looks even though I have already lost weight and still am working on it? It really does hurt my feelings and its very discouraging. So I started my journey about 6 months ago and I have already lost about 30lbs. I look and feel great but apparently it's not good enough for my family. I'm not at my goal (140lb) but I'm striving to reach there (so far I'm 160lb). Last Wednesday, my aunt came up to me and embarrassed me in front of everyone at a party saying that I'm still fat and I need to do insanity. Boy was I really hurt and upset. Idk, I just don't understand why people have to do that.

I just need some words of encouragement.... Sigh.

Replies

• cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Time to disconnect from toxic relationships for your own health, no matter who it is.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Fvck 'em and drive on!
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    I hate people like that.

It's like they do it to remove the focus off of their insecurities and unhappiness.

Like as if making fun of someone else will improve their miserable lives.

Don't pay attention to people like that.

I know it's easier said than done....but you came this far and you are stronger than you think :)
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Ignore them and continue on your way! You are going strong, losing weight and feeling GREAT! don't let family bring you down. I have the same people in my family (I'm the fat one) but I have learned to let it slide right off my back. Come back with "I feel amazing" or "That workout was good today" say positive things after something is said and show them that is doesn't matter what they say or you could call them out on what they are saying by telling them they are being hurtful. You have to remember to stay focused with what you are doing and blow off the ones who don't support you.

Good luck to you and stay strong!! :flowerforyou:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Have you - could you - tell them how you feel? How hurtful it is? If they think they're being helpful, motivating you - they'll carry on hurting you. If they understand how you feel maybe they'll think a bit before they say these things.

You don't have to get mad or break down - just say "that's very hurtful". If they're just being clumsy, they will listen and you can have a conversation about what would be supportive and encouraging for you.

If not, have you got any friends who are supportive? You need to spend as much time as you can with them.

You said "still tease you" - it sounds like this is the norm in your family. They've developed the habit of teasing you. That's not on. That's never anything but damaging.

You've been working hard, you've already come a long way - it is a long slow process and you deserve some recognition and praise for all your efforts, and cheering along the way as you do the rest. :flowerforyou:
  • dkirkling
    dkirkling Posts: 48 Member
    Don't let them get you down. You are doing a great job with your weight loss. Keep up the good work!:
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Just keep patience and continue your good work.......your result will zip their mouth one fine morning ! Your result will reply, why you !!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    Yeah, it can be discouraging, but try to make it less by saying something like "Yep, you're right. Could you lend me the money to buy they program since you're that concerned?". It'll blow over much quicker that way.l

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition