Protein/fat loss/muscle gain?

I am vegan and I do struggle to hit decent protein amounts considering I climb 1-2 times a week and do aerial silks 2 times a week. I was hitting 30g a day but have added a protein powder and now hit around 50g a day. Do I still need a bit more? I reckon I might do. I'm 5'6" and 118.8lbs.
I want to lose fat but gain some muscle after. whats the best way to conserve it whilst losing weight and the best way to build it afterwards? Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,904 Member
    At your size, you're not gonna build any muscle unless you're in surplus. Now you can target where to build muscle, but it's gonna take more than just climbing and silks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • At your size, you're not gonna build any muscle unless you're in surplus. Now you can target where to build muscle, but it's gonna take more than just climbing and silks.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Yeah thats what I mean, build muscle after I get rid of the fat that will hide it. and thats why I'm asking what I can do to build it after :)
  • If you need some protein I would recommend Hardcore Series Precision Engineered - Whey Protein Isolate it has some good protein and not too much bad things. That would really boost your protein intake quite a bit.
  • If you need some protein I would recommend Hardcore Series Precision Engineered - Whey Protein Isolate it has some good protein and not too much bad things. That would really boost your protein intake quite a bit.

whey isnt vegan, but thanks for relying :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,904 Member
    At your size, you're not gonna build any muscle unless you're in surplus. Now you can target where to build muscle, but it's gonna take more than just climbing and silks.

IDEA Fitness member
    Yeah thats what I mean, build muscle after I get rid of the fat that will hide it. and thats why I'm asking what I can do to build it after :)
    Compound movements, high volume (at least 16 sets per body part), moderate calorie surplus.

IDEA Fitness member
  • oops must of missed that tidbit haha :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Asking in the nicest way possible, but you're 5'6" and 119 lbs... what fat? Might want to start working on those muscles now before you end up being underweight.
  • oops must of missed that tidbit haha :(
    haha dont worry
  • Rule of thumb is .7-1 gram per pound of body weight. I can only get there and stay under my calories with protein shakes.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    I think they do hemp protein?

I'd definitely say you need more than 30g - also, you probably need to do alot of research into how to get all 11 essential amino acids as you're vegan.

I wouldn't imagine you have much fat to lose at 118. I agree that you'd probably need to be at surplus, especially as you're really active. Good luck with it :)