How do you stretch yours??

Options
Sonj1973
Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
One of my weaknesses is 'cheese'....I love cheese....To keep within my daily calories at the same time enjoy one of my all time fav foods, I've found if I grate it on the finest setting on the grater it goes a lot further than slicing SOoooo....How do you stretch out your favourite foods to savour and enjoy?

I did try to show via pic, but unable to download!

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I wish I could answer this for you, but I tend to devour any and all food that I love.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    as a fellow cheese-lover.....I agree, I also buy extra sharp cheddar, as I find it feels like more (tastes like more) with less.... if that makes sense.

we have tacos weekly. so one week I'll have bean tacos --rosarita beans, that I add water to to make them "go" a little farther, and the next week turkey meat.. except I use less meat than we need, and when I add the seasoning and water, I add about a half cup of "quick" rolled oatmeal... it ends up tasting the same and you get the benefit of oats and less "meat calories".

also, when I make smoothies, I add an equal amount of unsweetened almond milk and crushed ice. the ice has no calories and makes the smoothie much bigger (and colder) so I drink it for longer and it feels more filling.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean the stronger the taste etc.... Your Smoothies sounds really nice and refreshing I'll try that, never tried tacos before so I may experiment there to :: thanks

I know grace I have to hold myself back sometime lol :)
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I think it isn't so much about stretching foods for me but making room in my calorie count for them, particularly if they are somewhat healthy like cheese. I sometimes have to scrap something off my pal if it doesn't add up but this is often more to do with the protein/carb/fat content of a food more than the calories of the food. Tomorrow I was going to have a few scones but I would have eaten too many calories and needed more protein so I scrapped them from my pal and added some beef jerky for afternoon tea instead.

I have also found that a good method to employ is to prepare my food in advance and then edit my entries for tomorrow, today, i.e. I have pretty much figured out exactly what I will be eating tomorrow (even a few things for Tuesday). If I don't have food all cooked up and planned I will be a little more loose with my meals on MFP and try and leave something there for desert like some icecream or something nice. On those days if during the day I eat something else like some chocolates or a bigger meal or something it means that I can't have the icecream later on. This way I try not to overeat during the day otherwise I miss my treat later but if I do feel like some chocolates or something at some stage I can have that too and not feel guilty that I am over eating.

I guess summing everything up to try and make this post more relevant I do try and stretch naughty foods like chocolates...
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    i thought this was going to be dirty
  • AZ_Danny
    AZ_Danny Posts: 50 Member
    Options

haha, you just made me chuckle
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean the stronger the taste etc.... Your Smoothies sounds really nice and refreshing I'll try that, never tried tacos before so I may experiment there to :: thanks

I know grace I have to hold myself back sometime lol :)

I should have said, with the smoothie.. that's not all that's in it! unsweetened almond milk is bland (but only 30 cal a cup!) .. so 1 cup crushed ice, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, half of a frozen banana and about 3/4 c of frozen pineapple chunks.. then it has some sweetness! very mild sweetness but much more enjoyable :) try it! the whole thing ends up only about 150 cal and makes 20 oz!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love cheese, too! I have some bomb *kitten* cheese! I used 3oz to make a couple quesadillas the other day... just the cheese was almost 500 cal! lol, was worth it and I made it fit my macros!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Buying the $16/lb. hard parmesan blocks may seem like an expensive thing to do but it's taste is stronger and you get a whole mess of grated cheese in 1 oz. If ind I spend less on parmesan if I buy the good stuff. I also use less so fewer calories but more flavor.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If I am eating doritos, I will nibble them in such tiny bites that they last much longer and I don't need as many.

If I am eating chocolate I suck it until it melts, last longer than just chewing and swallowing.

Ice cream I eat with a teaspoon to make it last longer too.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I don't

If it fits, it fits

And sometimes I live dangerously and laugh when I'm defeated by the red bar of doom
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Really was not thinking cheese....
  • ARoseinDecember
    Options
    Was hoping this was about calves.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

And sometimes I live dangerously and laugh when I'm defeated by the red bar of doom

:heart: Gotta live! :drinker:
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options

haha, you just made me chuckle

yea i thought the op was disussing a cheaper solution to Japan's pe#$% enlarger pumps :D