Looking for supportive, encouraging weight loss buddies! :)

Options
rcade21
rcade21 Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hey guys! I'm new to this website and glad to be here! This is the first time I feel I have needed to reach out and get help before my health takes a plummet. Here's a little about me:

I'm 24 years old, a nurse, work full-time and attend school part-time. I enjoy spending my free time with my boyfriend and pets as much as possible, but also want to incorporate well-balanced health routine in there somewhere (cook healthy foods, go to the gym/walk with a buddy, etc.) I'm SO ready to get in the right mindset to nip this weight loss in the bud once and for all and go for the gold!!

I'm at my wits end. I overeat often and have gained 40 pounds within the past 2 years due to a lot of emotional strife regarding work stress and relationship/friendships that were not healthy. Usually, I bounced back but this time I invested too much and started emotional/boredom eating.. gained 10 pounds.. then came more personal problems and weight gain and I hit an "I feel like crap from eating all this crap" wall.

I'm afraid of the cravings I get from eating "better" (and smaller portions) and feel like having a support system or workout buddy would be in my best interest. I feel like I can't try to overcome this weight loss/fitness/lifestyle journey alone anymore and want to heal in a healthy way inside and out- need the extra OOMPH, positivity, and encouragement. Often, I look at myself in the mirror and hate what I see. It gets discouraging seeing hard work put in only to get down from seeing myself take two more steps backwards when I don't have the drive and energy and lose the progress I worked SO hard for, very disheartening!

I would love to hear how other people find support and encouraging friends to help them because I'm very much in need of both! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I've only been on the forums for a few days and I can tell you that there are some super supportive and wonderful people on this website. :] In my life, I have one friend who is very active and in really great shape who influences and supports me through my weight loss. (Sort of an idol, really. SHES SO FIT, haha.)

But yeah, welcome and congratulations on starting your journey.
  • NewGoalsInMind
    Options
    Hello & Welcome!!

I am a married mom of 2 that also works a full-time job (in mental health field, which can be SOOO stressful most of the time). You have come to the perfect place for support and motivation. I joined months ago and still can't believe how MFP has changed my life. I am at a point in my life that I no longer use the word "diet," I refer to this as a new lifestyle that I plan on maintaining. I've lost 32lbs, but have gained so much more. I am sending a request, feel free to message me if you ever need to chat with someone.

Goodluck on this journey!! :smile:
  • rcade21
    Options
    Thanks to you both for the kind words! I'm really looking forward to getting on track and kicking butt! I just keep thinking to myself.... 40 pounds!!! :O

I keep reminding myself.. it could be worse!

A friend has recently lost weight by maintaining a Paleo diet. I did cut out all grains, simple carbs, and processed salt and sugars for a week to rule out any gatrointestinal/gluten problems, but it was incredibly hard. Amazing what a difference you feel when you force yourself to eat better :)

How do people on here stay encouraged? Messages, phone, etc?
  • mzjubaby
    mzjubaby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I too am a nurse who wrks full time and just recently began going back 2school part time..that in itself is hard wrk. I just joined myself. IM hoping that following this plan and STAYING active will work. Im usually very busy and i dnt know alot of people who enjoy working out or any outdoor activities..im lookn2 meet good sincere people who can help encourage and motivate me when i need that extra push..and I of course will do the same:-)..welcome to the community and good luck with your fitness goals!!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I think one of the best things that has happened for me was to find a group here. There are several already established ones. I am in the women 50+ which of course doesn't fit you. But you find a close knit sister type relationships there where you not only help each other on your diet but become friends. It's like going to a slumber party with your best friends and really confide. I think when you start to confide about other things in your life it helps you understand why you let the nutrition [art go all waywire! Good luck to you. Oh, I was also a nurse but MS decided to take my life on a different course which has been very interesting.
  • rcade21
    Options
    Thank you both for your warm welcome, support, and encouragement!

I know this will be a long life changing process, but I'm looking forward to finding that person or group that will stick it out with me to the end and maybe further! Finding a friendship through this would truly be a blessing :)

I see a lot of nurses on here, that's great :)

It does seem that airing out some laundry every once in awhile helps to get a person back on track from looking at different threads/posts. I'm definitely going to utilize all of this as one big learning experience for the better and stay positive! :flowerforyou:
  • abadiva
    abadiva Posts: 1
    Options
    I just joined today as well, and your words express exactly how i feel. i have 40lbs to lose as well, and feel tired of taking a step forward and 10 backwards. i've decided to focus on losing 1lb at a time.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    you can do it!
  • Dargealing
    Dargealing Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    add me my dear, I can send you tips websites, and incentives through connectivity in my circle. I lost 22 lbs, have bounced up some then back down but one thing I don't do now is give up. I have my support system, so feel free to add me.. we are all here for you. Lots of encouraging stories and others in your situation.. I joined to support someone else and got the incentive to just get off the couch and end the pity party for one, and get with it.. so come on.. you can do this.. baby steps..
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like. I know the struggles and the hard times of almost wanting to give up. But believe me, just be determined to lose that weight.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the first steps toward change. I agree that connecting with others helps. When I started I was pretty much up against a similar amount of weight. I lost the majority of mine within the year following a paleo-like diet. Of course, I haven't found it terribly hard to eat like this because I still eat a little bit of everything.

Asking any of my family though if I would ever give up pasta, they would say you were crazy. I literally ate three servings of pasta or rice at a sitting at least three times a week. You can lose weight eating just about anything, but some diets are more nutritious than others. It's up to you whether paleo is something you want to do and if it works for you.

I log almost every day, including vacations and fun days. I eat relatively paleo but with dairy, and the occasional side of rice or something. I began changing my eating habits for pretty much the same reason - I felt tired and bleh all the time. I have to say that I feel amazing comparatively and the end result so far has been well worth any misery I endured fighting cravings or exercising.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi, I sent a friend request!! If you eat your allotted calories and plenty of protein, you Will not be hunger. I have been doing this for a long time. Still have a little ways to go!! You have got this!!
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just joined this morning but I have decided that I'm going to log everday...even the bad days. Congrats OP on taking the first steps in joining this site and asking for help. I'm going to send you a friend request too!
  • YellowSummerRoom
    YellowSummerRoom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, please feel free to add me. I'm 26 and damn, I know ALL about emotional eating! I've got twice as much to lose as you but every bit of support helps!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've already lost 60+ pounds and decided to reset my goals and go for a few more. I'm a full time college student and mother of 3. (2 are adults and one teen)
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been on here a while now and can't believe how I've well I've done, I'm so greatful for my supportive and encouraging friends on this site.
    I've sent you a friend request, you can never have to many friends for support, I log on daily and like to leave and receive comments.
    Good luck for your new healthy lifestyle.

Anyone else feel free to add me.
  • Zhionsmom
    Zhionsmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You will be successful! Sending you a friend request.
  • rcade21
    Options
    Wow, what great responses, I never thought I would find such positive and uplifting people :)
    I've responded to most messages and friend requests that I've been able to, the support has been wonderful!

It's really inspiring to see people's health goals and weight loss knowing that you AREN'T the only one out there that isn't a super fit gym bunny (hehehe! for now!)
  • ravegee
    ravegee Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Anybody feel free to add me if you want. I log in daily and multiple times a day!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for support / encouragement then feel free to add me.

8488541.png
This discussion has been closed.