Is this legit?

Options
Valdus92 burned 790 calories doing 200 minutes of Walking, 2.0 mph, slow pace

Ok will the jury of my peers please tell me if this is cheating. Today was the first day of school. I taught five classes of 40 minutes, pacing like a madman, very animated. Could I have conceivably burned 700 calories? And no, I chose the 1500 calorie deficit so its not worked into the intake.

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Doubtful.
    I do the same as a nurse and if I planned my dietary intake around that "burn" number, I would gain weight.
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you burnt 790 calories in just over 3 hours, but the thing is the MFP calorie estimates are compared to a baseline of 0 calories, while in reality just being alive for those 200 minutes would have burnt somewhere in the region of 350-400 calories, so you've only really burnt an extra 400 calories compared to what you have burnt if you'd been doing nothing.

This doesn't matter so much for high intensity exercises - doing 30 minutes of running you might burn 400 calories compared to a baseline of 0, or 350 calories if you compare to the 50ish calories you would have burnt sitting around or lying in bed, but it does matter a lot when considering low intensity exercise.