Experienced runners advice needed.

Options
I have started C25K. Currently on Week 3. I am having trouble getting my breathing "into a rhythm" I watched a few you tube videos that basically all said to inhale 4 steps, exhale 4 steps. The exhaling is easy, can't seem to inhale that long or deep enough?
Feel like I am just exhaling even without inhaling. When I am done though, or on walk portions, I don't feel uncontrolably out of breath, in fact I feel like I regain it quite easy. Is this normal? If not, is it going to get tougher as my run segments progress?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are running too fast during the run sections
  • ColoBrat
    ColoBrat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breathing has to be what feels most natural to you - and your "rhythm" will change - as you go up or down hills, as you get "settled" in to a stride, even depending on how you feel that day. Trying to focus on your breathing will take your focus away from what is most important, settling in to a stride that feels comfortable that you can carry over distances. Your body will naturally take in the oxygen you need, but of you're worried about it, every once in a while you can kind of "lean back" to open up your rib cage area and take a deeper breath or two.
  • sttite12
    sttite12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd join to those before me, you need to make sure that you don't get out of breath at any time! :) Pick a pace that is very easy for you, where your breathing is close to normal, where you could easily talk with a partner or you can do a sing-test (could you sing a short song without getting much out of breath with that pace?). I don't think you need this 4-in-4-our method, as long as you focus on getting all the oxygen you need. Later, as an experienced runner, when you do strides or speed workouts, there will be intervals where you will be more out of breath, but as a part of the C25K, you first need to make sure you have a very good aerobic base before starting to do workout runs! Without a secure base, you make yourself extremely prone to injury and put too much stress on your heart and joints. Furthermore, if you want to CONTINUE being a runner after your C25K, you'll need to figure out a way of running in a way that does not kill you/hurt you, in order to be able to enjoy this sports for years to come. In most cases, beginner runners run WAY too fast and as they get more experienced and understand the importance of low impact, they need to go through the annoying phase of adjusting their pace to a calmer heart rate/breathing, which can be really frustrating as they need to, again, return to slower paces for that. Be kind to your body now and the future you will thank you! :) Don't be afraid to run VERY slowly. 30-40 mins walk/slow jog has much more health & fitness benefits than 15-20 mins if intensive running.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Piling on - slow down, you're running too fast. What's important when you first start running is the motions (I always call it the 'run-bouncing'). Run very slowly at first - this means you should still be able to breathe, but you might only be running slightly faster than you walk. Once you can run further comfortably you can focus on running faster, and there are training programs and specific types of running exercises that will help you do that. And you'll find that your pace will pick up naturally as you get used to running, anyway. Congrats on starting C25K!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I would find it hard to breathe in for a count of 4 also. I don't think about breathing until I pick the pace up....then my breathing would be out on every 4th step (for about 4 sec) and then in for about 2 sec.
    I am not a super fast runner, but typically run without stopping for 5-10km
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in February and completed it in the prescribed 9 weeks. I agree with others that you likely need to slow down. I also had to slow down during the program due to hip/knee pain. I slowed to a pace where I was barely jogging at a walking pace. After completing the program and meeting more experienced runners at my local
    Parkrun I was advised not to worry about pace for the first 6-9 months of running. Just keep building mileage and the pace will come on its own. Run at a pace where you can breathe normally and carry on a conversation with someone easily. Even after you complete the program most of your training runs will be at a conversational pace. As you build endurance your conversational pace will naturally get a little faster.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    With breathing my PT has me concentrate on the out breath rather than in. I try not to think about the in breath at all.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    My advice is to stop watching videos and just run. You can work on breathing later if you decide you are serious about increasing distance and speed. For now, slow down and enjoy the process. Run slow enough so you can carry a conversation (or sing as you run). Later when you want to work on breathing there are ways to do it without thinking about it (military cadence serves this and other purposes and is easy to do).

Good luck.
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Slow down??? Obviously none of you have ever ran with me. Seriously, walkers pass me on a steady basis.
    I knew about that carry on a conversation thing too. I am pretty sure I can although hard to test out when your alone. I tried joining a learn to run club but couldn't keep up with anyone in it so that's why I am doing this alone now.
    I am starting to get into running longer segments with the C25K. Kinda worried I might run into not being able to inhale very well or at all when I feel like all I do is exhale.
    Gonna keep on running.......
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i never used C25K as a perfect schedule more like a guide, One schedule does not fit everybody. So if the breathing schedule does not fit try something slightly different.
    Other than that I just read a to of experiences and ended up just running as I felt was right for me
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    4/4 breathing is rather extreme. Some people I know who have massive lung capacity use it. I just can't.

I personally use 3/3 when for anything up to a long run, 2/3 or 3/2 for tempos, and 2/2 for shorter races and then go all the way up to 1/2 or 2/1 for "Ima gonna bust a lung if this goes on any longer" sprints in maybe the last 200 meters of a race.

In week 3 of C25K, I'd say try out 3/3 or 2/3 for size (any faster would probably be bad), and see how you feel.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I actually found it very helpful to count my breaths when I first started running. But, I could never manage the 4 breaths. My natural pattern is more like 2-3. I inhale on left foot strike, skip a step or 2, exhale on left foot strike. It’s not exact, and most of the time I don’t think about it anymore, but it is handy for the end of the run when I am getting tired so I don’t revert to gasping for breath.

Rather than trying to stick to 4 steps, just find what feels comfortable for you and then go from there. Running is a very individual thing. There’s not really a wrong way to do it.

ETA: I know people on MFP seem to love C25k, but I hated it. I used a beginner program by Jenny Hadfield that I found to be much more comfortable for me. There are lots of beginning runner programs out there, so don’t give up running completely if this one doesn’t work out for you.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The best bit of breathing advice from C25K for me was actually about avoiding a stitch. It said to breathe from my belly, feel my belly expand when I inhale and whilst it did help my stitch it also helped me to slow my breathing down. I don’t know if it matches the 4 steps in, 4 steps out (I couldn’t inhale for 4 either!) but my breathing does feel more controlled