Starting, again

Options
nwoutdoorgrl
nwoutdoorgrl Posts: 167 Member
edited October 2019 in Getting Started
Starting again for the 1,653rd time.

My weight has reached an ultimate high and I am a few pounds away from what I was on the day I gave birth to my son. I got on the scale the other day and was in shock. I couldn’t believe it, but at the same time, I don’t know what else I expected from the constant binge-eating.

I’ve got to lose this weight. Not for vanity reasons but for my health. I’ve been noticing back pain, other random pains, not being able to stand for long without my legs & bottom of my feet hurting, out of breath, fatigue, depression, anxiety...

I’m looking for new MFP friends who are active and have open food diaries who are willing to give support and motivation. And of course, I am happy to do the same. 😊 Difficult things in life are made a little easier when you’re not going at it alone. Please feel free to add me!

Replies

• Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

You doing folloeimybaby particular diet/exercise programme?
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    Hotelsma wrote: »
    Hiya,

You doing folloeimybaby particular diet/exercise programme?

No particular diet program. I workout for an hour 4-5 times a week. My fitness is good, it’s the eating that I really struggle with.
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Adding you! I just started over August 1st. The struggle is real. LOL My son is now 2yrs old and I just kept gaining and gaining more weigh until I recently put my foot down to try and get back on track. I actually got heavier after having him then when I was actually pregnant. It's hard! Anyway, if anyone else would also like help support each other please feel free to add me too.
  • balaff
    balaff Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you just described me!! I want to get started (again) as well. I am thinkibg having a network might help a bit more with accountability.
  • HighPeak66
    HighPeak66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Feel free to add me!
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    SarBear00b wrote: »
    Adding you! I just started over August 1st. The struggle is real. LOL My son is now 2yrs old and I just kept gaining and gaining more weigh until I recently put my foot down to try and get back on track. I actually got heavier after having him then when I was actually pregnant. It's hard! Anyway, if anyone else would also like help support each other please feel free to add me too.

The struggle is very real! Through it all through, I have realized that for me, restrictions & having a list of things I can’t have most often times leads to binges of said foods. Right now, I’m focusing on staying within my allotted calories & creating a calorie deficit rather than focusing on what I’m eating. This is the best route for me right now, starting out. What about for you?

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Not sure if this applies to you, but sometimes people who keep having to start over are trying to stick to a plan that's more difficult than it needs to be.

All you need is a calorie deficit, any other "rules" should make hitting your calorie goal easier, not make your plan tougher to stick to. So maybe just start out with a 1 lb per week goal and no food rules. Just log accurately and consistently and learn as you go - what foods fill you up, what foods leave you hungry, what do your macros look like on days you hit your goal easily? Then tweak from there.

And if you have a bad day, remember you haven't "ruined" anything. It's a lifelong process, so just learn what you can from the day and then get back on plan tomorrow.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

Good luck!

Thank you for the great advice. I’ve tried restricted programs in the past and they’re just not sustainable. My approach this time around is staying within my calorie goal & creating a calorie deficit. No foods are off limits but I have the intention of making as healthy choices as I can but I won’t be telling myself I can’t have certain foods because for me personally, when I do that, it often times leads to a binge.

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    HighPeak66 wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP, Feel free to add me!

I added you. Thank you for being willing to support & give encouragement!

• JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Lots of good friendly people here and most of us have been through something similar or are there right now.
  • Sparkle_1968
    Sparkle_1968 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm starting again :smiley: , returning after trying a zillion other plans & failing lol .. I know this works so am re-educating myself to eat less of the bad stuff & more of the good... I would love to lose up to 7 stone but 1 would be nice for starters & just go from there.. .. Hopefully I can pick up some tips from you all, along the way :)
    Feel free to add me & or send me some hints & tips x
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    Hi, I'm starting again :smiley: , returning after trying a zillion other plans & failing lol .. I know this works so am re-educating myself to eat less of the bad stuff & more of the good... I would love to lose up to 7 stone but 1 would be nice for starters & just go from there.. .. Hopefully I can pick up some tips from you all, along the way :)
    Feel free to add me & or send me some hints & tips x

Oh yes, I have tried this & that plan, different eating trends (keto, fasting, etc) but one thing I have learned about myself is that when there are restrictions, it’s an instant set up for failure. My ultimate goal is to eat as healthy as I can & restrict the foods that my body is intolerant to but right now, starting out, I need to get this weight off for health reasons. Once I get a chunk of it off, I will focus more on macros, healthy food choices, and avoiding gluten, dairy, and egg products.

Thank you for your friend request. I just received it. Looking forward to sharing our weight loss and health journeys. :)

• nsmelton
    nsmelton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried to reply but think I messed it up lol
    Anyway, love your post, could have written it myself! Maybe doing this with people will keep me on track this time. I just started (AGAIN) today!
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    nsmelton wrote: »
    I tried to reply but think I messed it up lol
    Anyway, love your post, could have written it myself! Maybe doing this with people will keep me on track this time. I just started (AGAIN) today!

Haha. I don’t post often on the boards and just figured out how to directly reply to someone by quoting their post. Anywayyyyss, we can do this! I am motivated and ready to get to a healthy weight.

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »
    Good luck. Lots of good friendly people here and most of us have been through something similar or are there right now.

Thanks for the add! Glad that we can connect and root each other on. :)

• errydayimmusclin
    errydayimmusclin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I just started back up again after a stressful year of life changes. I haven't been tracking my food, but I plan on doing it again, because that's what helped me lose the 80 pounds a couple years ago. I'm looking to lose about 20 pounds right now, but I too, struggle with my food. I could use some motivation and support. 😃
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice. I’ve tried restricted programs in the past and they’re just not sustainable. My approach this time around is staying within my calorie goal & creating a calorie deficit. No foods are off limits but I have the intention of making as healthy choices as I can but I won’t be telling myself I can’t have certain foods because for me personally, when I do that, it often times leads to a binge.

For me, this has been so crucial. I would never be able to lose weight if I had to follow a restriction diet like Keto or Atkins. I still have pizza every week, I just fit it into my calorie goals for that day. I think if you stick to something like this going forward, you will have better long-term success. Good luck!
  • mindyourbody725
    mindyourbody725 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today I am making a commitment to a healthier lifestyle. 6 months ago I started and here I am 10 pounds HEAVIER! Ugh. I plan on logging my food daily and will choose one non-weight goal each week.

This first week my goal will be simple water intake of 6 glasses a day. I have to start small so I know I can succeed. :)

I turned 50 this year and am 50 pounds overweight. I'm grumpy and frustrated and uncomfortable. I know it's a lifestyle change and today is the beginning for me!!

I look forward to supporting one another.

Since i have no idea how to add friends please add me. it would be nice to do this together.
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    ellie117 wrote: »

For me, this has been so crucial. I would never be able to lose weight if I had to follow a restriction diet like Keto or Atkins. I still have pizza every week, I just fit it into my calorie goals for that day. I think if you stick to something like this going forward, you will have better long-term success. Good luck!

This has been helping me so much these last handful of days — this approach of no off limit foods but staying under my calorie goal. I end up eating less and not binging, opposed to the constant binging and high calorie days when I tried to eat low carb and had so many foods I told myself I couldn’t have.

I’ll send you a friend request so we can motivate and support one another. :) My food diary is open to friends so you’ll be able to see what I eat.
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    Today I am making a commitment to a healthier lifestyle. 6 months ago I started and here I am 10 pounds HEAVIER! Ugh. I plan on logging my food daily and will choose one non-weight goal each week.

This first week my goal will be simple water intake of 6 glasses a day. I have to start small so I know I can succeed. :)

I turned 50 this year and am 50 pounds overweight. I'm grumpy and frustrated and uncomfortable. I know it's a lifestyle change and today is the beginning for me!!

I look forward to supporting one another.

Since i have no idea how to add friends please add me. it would be nice to do this together.
    I’ll send you a friend request. ;)

I really like your focus and determination. Making small goals that they’re nearly impossible not to reach is an excellent idea. When I was talking to my therapist about my food and body issues, he suggested doing this exact thing. For example: commit to doing 2 pushups a day for one week. Add another two the following week, and so on. Imagine the day you reach 100 pushups a day.

It is a lifestyle and doing small things everyday consistently over a period of time will lead to great successes.

You have a good mindset and I know you can do it! :)