I took my first diet break

Options
On December 1 2018 I hit my highest weight ever. I knew it was coming, as I had decided to start recovery from an eating disorder in 2017. This eating disorder had been in my life for 12 years. I had to make peace with recovery, and I knew that with recovery comes weight gain. But on this day I was ready to start losing weight in a healthy way for the first time in my life.

I started slow by just trying to eat healthier, in the sense that meant to me. I started with clean, whole foods that made me feel good and made me feel like I was taking care of myself. I started a dance fitness program on You Tube a few times a week. I stayed pretty relaxed with everything, and lost 6 lbs from Dec 1 to Feb 23.

On February 23 I had my first appointment with a weight loss clinic. This clinic has registered dietitians and doctors, as well as RNs and NPs. I really liked it there, and kept checking in with them for about 4 months (once a month). I started calorie counting on MFP as well as slowly introducing more exercise. I have fibromyalgia and other chronic pain so I really had to take it slow. I continued to lose weight, and continued to recover from my eating disorder. In April, I also started psychotherapy once a week.

As the weather got warmer in Ohio, I started walking at a local park. There is a lake and beautiful trails. I also started walking everyday at work. I eventually was logging nearly 30 miles a week in walks. I listened to podcasts sometimes, took a friend now and then, borrowed my sister's dog - but mostly just enjoyed being outside.

I also took 3 vacations throughout this period, celebrated many holidays and birthdays, and still stayed on track while enjoying these wonderful times to the fullest (including a couple all inclusive vacays with unlimited yummy food and drinks).

A year ago, I wouldn't think I'd be where I am today. I am not 100% recovered, but I probably never will be. I am making peace with that.

Today I sit 33 lbs down and with the feeling that I can keep going. I have taken my first diet break the last 3 weeks and today I am ready to get going again, I am actually even excited. I don't dread this part of life anymore, I see it as a choice. I want to meet my one year anniversary with happiness and pride.

I hope everyone is starting this week off motivated, and if you aren't - that's ok, just wake up each day and do your best, plain and simple. Hugs to all!

Replies

• Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great post! And look at all of your accomplishments. It’s a good reminder to celebrate the wins and reflect on both the journey and the future direction.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is wonderful news!

I would argue that you didn't take much of a "diet break" at all, but have found a healthy balanced lifestyle, which is so important for those of us in ED recovery! Keep up the great work.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Three cheers for you: Powerful insights, great decisions and the actions to support them. Inspiring example for all of us! :flowerforyou:
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!