How to Maintain Weight once School year starts?

Ever since I've started this fitness journey, I haven't maintained a weight at a steady rate. I maintained a weight of around 123-125 during the last stretch of my Senior Year( btw, I'm 5 foot 6) . It was very hard to do so, as I had to wake-up at 5:45 am every week day, have a small cereal bowl, and had to snack about twice before lunch because the hinger was unbearable. My lunches were at 1:20 pm so having to eat breakfast at 6am and not lunching until that hour tens to leave you desperate for some food.

Once I finished high school early May, I ate less, obviously. I also had an internship going on throughout the month and that left me with less time to eat. I dropped to 118lbs in two weeks. Anyway, during the Summer, I've dropped to my current weight, 110lbs. However, I just started college this week and I've noticed a dramatic increase in appetite. Sure, I'm doing a whole lot of walking. It takes me 9 minutes ( fast-walking) to get from the train station to my first class. I'm just hungrier and i'm trying to stick to my same eating schedule and amounts, but I feel very weak if I do. A few nights ago, I just felt so drained of energy that I had an apple a cup of grapes, which helped a lot! I've been eating that for my nightly snack(s), but it's just not enough anymore! \

I weighed 109.8 two days ago. I had around 200 calories more than I do these past two nights and this morning, I was 110.2 lbs. I know, it's probably just normal fluctuations, but what if it's not and I end up gaining those "freshman 15?"

My schedule leaves me with awkward times to eat and because of that, I come home very, very hungry and it's way too early to have dinner. How can I deal with this better? I'm going to be bringing lunches from home to the university and snacks like grapes, quaker oats cookies, Special K pastry crisps, Fiber One brownies, apples, Baked Lays/ruffles, Chewy bars, etc.

Replies

• grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    You can try to plan your meals out for the day and bring snacks or lunch with you. I usually bring sandwiches, granola bars, and nuts. Try not to go too long without eating.
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Were you waking up at 5.45 to exercice?
    If so, what I do, is usually eat something before and something after while trying to focus on protein, which keeps me full longer. Try to find what foods or macros keep you full the longest - I personally react very strongly to fat and protein in general. Also, try to review your activity level once again. If you are indeed more active than usual, your body will be craving more fuel - more calories. You could then up your TDEE :smile:
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    I hit the gym early, then prep my days' meals between the gym and when school starts. Or at the end of the day. If you're in a dorm, get a foreman or hot plate, you could cook some chicken breasts or burgers in no time

*oops, just read you live at home, probably don't need to get a foreman or hot plate
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Brings tons of snacks with you in your backpack/tote. That way you won't be tempted by your rumbling tummy when lunch time rolls around to eat anything in sight! :wink: That's what I do! A bag of nuts and fruits. Even veggie sticks sometimes!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Most of the snack's you mention "apes, quaker oats cookies, Special K pastry crisps, Fiber One brownies, apples, Baked Lays/ruffles, Chewy bars, etc." seem to be highly processed and potentially a lot of fast-burning carbs. Why not try nuts? Cashews, peanuts, almonds, etc. will help keep you full longer, they can be easily packed/carried throughout the day and they won't get broken in a backpack like a bag of chips or smashed like a brownie. Also, protein shakes are a good bet. Carry a shaker with you and have pre-measured scoops in Ziploc baggies. Stop by a water fountain, get your water, add your protein, and viola! The shaker is also good to just have water to keep you hydrated, which may help keep the hunger away.
  • I'm heading to college this week, it'd be awesome if we could support each other through it :)