Emotional Eater (Please don't judge)

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnMarieThomas91
    AnnMarieThomas91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    thank you everyone . I think I managed to reply to you all . I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions <3:) so thank you !!!

Often, emotional eating is a combination of self-soothing/coping mechanism and plain old habit. In addition to the great advice you've already gotten here, if you're a reader, check out The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. It's a fun read, a combo of explaining the science, suggesting strategies, and telling fascinating stories around the habits that shape our lives.

Good luck!

thank you so much I will !
  • rescuemom27
    rescuemom27 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i defintiely fall into this category as well.....i can do well all day until i get home from work. That is my biggest obstacle. I've found that trying to keep myself busy until bed such as cleaning, reading, yoga or a long bath helps. if i sit to watch tv i instantly want to be eating something. Another thing i found helpful, is i plan out what i will eat all day and then space them out accordingly so that i never feel deprived (like instead of eating one thing that is a ton of calories look at a bunch of smaller things so i can eat them different times). hope some of this helps?
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Logging helps me understand the behavior. I have to replace the emotional eating with something else. I still have to "cope"- can't just take away a coping strategy and not replace it with something! My goal is to replace it with a positive coping strategy or at least a neutral one.

My "excellent" positive coping strategies- (work well but take time to learn, can't learn mindfulness in the moment of a panic attack, have to practice it when you're doing well to use it when stressed) edit to add: I learned all of these in counseling
    Mindfulness
    Self-compassion
    Radical acceptance
    Cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques

My "good" positive coping strategies
    Taking a walk outside (great for stress relief)
    Talk to a friend
    Journaling

My "neutral" coping strategies
    Watch tv
    Positive (not-stressful) internet browsing

Emotional eating is my "maladaptive/ negative" coping strategy. It's a last resort but I still have to cope so it is a choice.

I also recommend the books "When Food is Comfort" by Julie M. Simon and "The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion" by Christopher K. Germer

No judgment from me by the way! :smile: <hug> Healing takes time, it's ok to get help, you're not alone.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    *hug*

I'm sorry that your life is so stressful right now. I don't have this exact problem as I'm more likely to pile on the pounds when I'm happy, but I would think that perhaps you need to resolve the stressors. Try to cut out the people or situations that are bringing you down.
  • Wycaoak
    Wycaoak Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Definitely an emotional eater. I let a bad day at work be an excuse, and before I know it, I am 3 days off the wagon and much lower in the bank account. Would love to help and cheer you on as needed!
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    Options
    Logging helps me understand the behavior. I have to replace the emotional eating with something else. I still have to "cope"- can't just take away a coping strategy and not replace it with something! My goal is to replace it with a positive coping strategy or at least a neutral one.

My "excellent" positive coping strategies- (work well but take time to learn, can't learn mindfulness in the moment of a panic attack, have to practice it when you're doing well to use it when stressed) edit to add: I learned all of these in counseling
    Mindfulness
    Self-compassion
    Radical acceptance
    Cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques

My "good" positive coping strategies
    Taking a walk outside (great for stress relief)
    Talk to a friend
    Journaling

My "neutral" coping strategies
    Watch tv
    Positive (not-stressful) internet browsing

Emotional eating is my "maladaptive/ negative" coping strategy. It's a last resort but I still have to cope so it is a choice.

I also recommend the books "When Food is Comfort" by Julie M. Simon and "The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion" by Christopher K. Germer

No judgment from me by the way! :smile: <hug> Healing takes time, it's ok to get help, you're not alone.

thank you for the above information and book suggestions ! very helpful =)
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    *hug*

I'm sorry that your life is so stressful right now. I don't have this exact problem as I'm more likely to pile on the pounds when I'm happy, but I would think that perhaps you need to resolve the stressors. Try to cut out the people or situations that are bringing you down.

I have definitely been looking at the stressors and distancing myself from events and things that have occurred lately to keep myself in a much happier place. weight has piled back on which sucks but I am trying to remain positive.
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    Options
    Wycaoak wrote: »
    Definitely an emotional eater. I let a bad day at work be an excuse, and before I know it, I am 3 days off the wagon and much lower in the bank account. Would love to help and cheer you on as needed!

thank you! sent you a friend request , would be great to motivate each other. I am the same few days later or even weeks i am like right get back on it, and then again it happens, i started to wonder if I am in the right headspace to actual commit to losing weight .
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    Options
    i defintiely fall into this category as well.....i can do well all day until i get home from work. That is my biggest obstacle. I've found that trying to keep myself busy until bed such as cleaning, reading, yoga or a long bath helps. if i sit to watch tv i instantly want to be eating something. Another thing i found helpful, is i plan out what i will eat all day and then space them out accordingly so that i never feel deprived (like instead of eating one thing that is a ton of calories look at a bunch of smaller things so i can eat them different times). hope some of this helps?

Thank you for your comment, I have started to do a much more relaxed before bed routine to reduce my TV time, as I find I sit and eat crap then, thats a great idea to not feel deprived ! =)
  • Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm bored or bummed...BUT! If I stay busy all day I won't eat. You still have to keep delicious healthy options around. Mine delicious healthy options is fruit. Papaya, blueberries, dates (I *kitten* love dates). Everything in moderation though.