How long will sodium increase water retention?

Options
Last week I ate out 3 meals while I was on a trip. I couldn't get accurate nutrition information for 2 of them, though one of them had calorie info. I know Saturday was crazy high sodium (4356) and over maintenance. I assume the meal on Sunday was high sodium as well, though calorie count for the day was under maintenance. My Monday morning weigh in was 3 lbs higher than Friday and I know I didn't eat 3 pounds worth of extra calories in 2 days. Today was back down 1.5 lbs, which I assume was all water.
So is that it or will it take a couple more days to flush its way out?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    A lot of people assume sodium is the primary or only cause of temporary weight gain, but that’s not true. For example, you may have eaten more food than usual, which means you also have more waste moving though your body. Waste and water will usually take up to a week to clear out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    Last week I ate out 3 meals while I was on a trip. I couldn't get accurate nutrition information for 2 of them, though one of them had calorie info. I know Saturday was crazy high sodium (4356) and over maintenance. I assume the meal on Sunday was high sodium as well, though calorie count for the day was under maintenance. My Monday morning weigh in was 3 lbs higher than Friday and I know I didn't eat 3 pounds worth of extra calories in 2 days. Today was back down 1.5 lbs, which I assume was all water.
    So is that it or will it take a couple more days to flush its way out?

Also depends if you normally during diet keep yourself at an artificially lower level of sodium, and your body finally got a level it desires.
    In which case usually the drop from desired level to a lower than desired you push on it can take longer, than a higher than desired dropping back to desired.

And again, by desired I mean not what you desire, what your body desires.

People force non-desired water weight loss all the time - and as soon as they eat something more average and normal - fast water weight gain.
    But that just means back to what body is more willing/wanting to retain.

Just keep in mind you know what it is.
    Like if I got excited about the 10 lb water weight drop after a 4 hr bike ride during the summer - I'd be getting really depressed by the end of the next day and what happens.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    How long the extra water weight takes to go away will vary in my experience. On a hot race weekend, when I've pounded a fair bit of electrolytes and hydration mixes, I've had it take the better part of a week to completely go away (add in typically eating out at least once a day, and it's a double whammy).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    5-7 days is the normal average.

Sodium, hormonal shifts, stress, fiber, hydration - all have direct impact on this, but if you go back to your normal routine it should trend back to normal after a week.