Tutorial on Forum posting

Options
bearly63
bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
Hello MFP Peeps:

Just trying to learn how to properly comment and/or respond to forum posts. I see that people quote what a person said and then respond by typing "so n so wrote:" but how does the quote box go gray? I have searched but nothing obvious popped up. Not sure how important this is but I see most people do it this way so I might as well learn, right? Thanks. Also....what is a BBC Code? I see that little option at the bottom of the post box? Just curious.

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    bearly63 wrote: »
    Just trying to learn how to properly comment and/or respond to forum posts. I see that people quote what a person said and then respond by typing "so n so wrote:" but how does the quote box go gray?

just showing off.... ha.

No, really. just click the quote option. You can edit the amount you want to quote. The box will grey out all by itself (a wizard did that) As long as you don't mess with the bits in square brackets the quote will work fine. As for BBCode that is short for Bulletin Board Code (also created by a wizard), and is a good way to avoid members using HTML code and maintain control of the boards. HTML code is usually in these brackets <> rather than the square ones.

why not try quoting my post and have a play?

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hello MFP Peeps:

Just trying to learn how to properly comment and/or respond to forum posts. I see that people quote what a person said and then respond by typing "so n so wrote:" but how does the quote box go gray? I have searched but nothing obvious popped up. Not sure how important this is but I see most people do it this way so I might as well learn, right? Thanks. Also....what is a BBC Code? I see that little option at the bottom of the post box? Just curious.

Are you talking about quoting such as I did above? That is done just by hitting the quote button below someones post.

BBC code is a type of simple markup language for forum posts. It is what you use to format text and markup things. The editor does some of that for you. So if you want to bold something, you can click the bold button up top, which will enter the bbc code for you. This code is "[ b ] [ /b ] (without the spaces)" So you can type the code yourself if you want. There is also certain BBCode that you can enter yourself that you wouldn't be able to do just from clicking something in the editor that could give you additional formatting options. You can see some from typing the links.
  • bearly63
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Hello MFP Peeps:

Are you talking about quoting such as I did above? That is done just by hitting the quote button below someones post.

BBC code is a type of simple markup language for forum posts. It is what you use to format text and markup things. The editor does some of that for you. So if you want to bold something, you can click the bold button up top, which will enter the bbc code for you. This code is "[ b ] [ /b ] (without the spaces)" So you can type the code yourself if you want. There is also certain BBCode that you can enter yourself that you wouldn't be able to do just from clicking something in the editor that could give you additional formatting options. You can see some from typing the links.

Ahhhhhh......got it! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much. I also googled bbcode and found a good description so I think I get it. Appreciate the quick response!
  • bearly63
    Options
    Just trying to learn how to properly comment and/or respond to forum posts. I see that people quote what a person said and then respond by typing "so n so wrote:" but how does the quote box go gray?

just showing off.... ha.

No, really. just click the quote option. You can edit the amount you want to quote. The box will grey out all by itself (a wizard did that) As long as you don't mess with the bits in square brackets the quote will work fine. As for BBCode that is short for Bulletin Board Code (also created by a wizard), and is a good way to avoid members using HTML code and maintain control of the boards. HTML code is usually in these brackets <> rather than the square ones.

why not try quoting my post and have a play?

Done....guess I am a quick study lol! Thanks for tip. Time to learn some coding B)