What workouts can I do with an injured foot?

Options
KaytV1990
KaytV1990 Posts: 5 Member
edited October 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey Everyone,

About a month ago, I messed up my foot from a slip/fall and my doctors appointment isn't for another month. It's incredibly painful to walk for long distances, so running is obviously out of the question. I am looking for ideas of ways that I can workout without as much involvement with my feet like crunches or squats maybe, but not something like jumping jacks or anything with a lot of impact. What would you suggest?

PS - I also have lower back issues and previous knee injuries (I know I'm a mess)

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Find a pool. You can get a great workout in a pool with little to no joint pain. You can get a total body workout and cardio. You can also do gentle yoga. DDPY yoga offers chair yoga for people who have issues with their joints that prevent them from doing other kinds of exercise.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Swimming, kayaking, core and upper body resistance training. (Been there and still doing all of those.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cycling and swimming...

don't do crunches...they are a fairly *kitten* ab exercise and put a lot of strain on your neck and back. squats are great resistance training, but I wouldn't think in and of themselves to be a good workout.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Rowing (maybe - depends on the foot), bicycling, swimming, upper body strength training, machines that would take your foot out of the equation (such as hamstring curls, etc). Since it's only the foot (and not the entire leg), there's still a lot you can do!
  • jbionda
    jbionda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot last year and used caroline jordan workouts on youtube. She has all kinds of "hurt foot" vids for workouts, stretching, etc. Good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    After knee and ankle surgery I hopped behind a zimmer frame on the good leg for cardio. The MFP entry for walking on crutches was made by a friend who broke an ankle and is is very accurate for my height and weight. She calibrated to her HRM reading for hopping around on crutches.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    What about gentle swimming?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Cycling could be a problem. Might not, but there's a lot of potential. You push with your feet, and if you come near crashing, you're going to put your foot out to catch yourself.

Swimming might be your best bet. I'm aiming you want to work your heart and lungs since you mentioned running.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    Definitely swimming. Even if you don't know how, or aren't a strong swimmer, use this time to learn. I learned to swim because of a messed up foot. I kept at it (5 years ago) because I might need it again when I need something low/non impact.
  • erikaramirez4872
    erikaramirez4872 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Pilates! Everything is done on the floor
  • KaytV1990
    KaytV1990 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I do love swimming there just isn't a pool nearby.
  • cyan87
    cyan87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try searching for pilates videos. Mainly on an exercise mat.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    I thought of one, it may sound weird but look up chair exercises. It’s very gentle but you’re moving plus you could work a little harder on your upper body if needed. You could try a resistance band? Maybe?
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hey, Sorry to read about your injury, foot injuries can be tedious and Stressful but fear not! There is a simple Solution...

throw on your favorite Swimsuit strap on a pair of swim goggles and google some "beginner" level swim workouts.. simple like 10 laps at an easy pace (front crawl, breast stroke, back stroke, frog swim, elementary or whatever it's all good!

In your first 3 sessions you'll realize one simple truth.. Swimming is a low impact whole body workout that very few other activities can hold a candle to!
  • jessrex
    jessrex Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Late reply but I broke my big toe a week into finally getting serious about working out. I found the elliptical to be perfect for cardio as it kept my foot flat. Wore a walking boot for a month and a half, tennis shoes at the gym. The doc said to do whatever I wanted, but to stop if it hurt; the elliptical didn't hurt. I did/do a hills workout on a medium level (8 out of 20) and sprinted up the "hills" to the best of my ability. I also added some extra core and upper body training.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, bicycle, or rower (or chair exercises) for cardio. You can do all the upper body machines at the gym, and some lower body like hamstring curls, adducter/abducter, leg extensions. Pilates could work.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I feel like learning to use a rowing machine while having a foot injury and low back issues is a pretty bad plan. My general thought would be anything upper body heavy that doesn't involve having to put much if any pressure on your feet. That said, it's been a bit over a month since this thread was started and you mentioned having an appointment with your doctor this month. Have you see them and how did the appointment go?
  • HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I smashed my left foot and broke my small toe and injured the one next to it. It was painful and the first thing to do is nothing. Need to rest and heal for a week or so. It took almost a month but I would do one leg planks, sit and do weights, and minimal cardio on the ellyptical machine until it was healed up.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    If you can find a newer model Assault Bike (Echo Rogue, AD Pro or Assault Bike Brand) at a local gym. They all are made to both pedal and have arms too. But they all also have a foot pad to rest your foot if you want to only use arms. They are fan powered. Incredible cardio workout, even with arms and upper body only.

This video is an example of only using upper body on the Assault Bike -- killer workout!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Css9KT1USsM

I wouldn't row. Too much stress on your foot. Pilates at home might work too. Perhaps look up easier Pilates workouts at home on YouTube (FitnessBlender has great ones).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    This video looks great actually too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9vE02q5ES0