3rd Place in my category. 5K race story! With tiny rant

Options
freyaheart
freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
So this morning I did a 5K here in my home town. It was benefitting the homeless. I got there at 7am to register and they weren't fully set up yet, the race didn't start till 9.

They gave me a backpack with my shirt, number, prize tickets, some coupons and a granola bar. I just kind of milled around for a while talking to the other racers and i bought some additional chinese auction tickets to put in for things that I wanted. The kiddie race starts and they run around the block chasing a clown, it was really cute.

It is getting closer to race time and we go to line up. They started the runners and walkers at the same time. I signed up for walker, I can't go very fast yet. Around mile two I come across a woman who is also a walker and she decides to take it upon herself to be the speed police.

Her "You're signed up as a walker and you're running."

Me "Ma'am this is not running"

So I "ran" for about 6-8 steps

Me "that was running"

Her "Well what your doing is illegal"

(Who made her the boss of how fast I can go? For the record I can not go any faster that about 4.5 MPH if we are talking in treadmill terms) I do not consider what I was doing to be running. Not to mention the fastest walker finished in 21 minutes

She proceeded to pass me and I didn't see her again.

I finally see the finish line and I am so happy to finally get there. I cross it at 46.23 minutes.

So being happy that I had finished my third race I grab a Gatorade and head over to the awards ceremony. They are announcing the winners overall and then they start going into the best male/female runners. When they get to the female walkers I am listening to the times and they really aren't far off from me. The 14-17 year old winners where actually near me in the race. Then I hear my name for third place female walker and I lost it!

I had never been that excited in my life! I had never gotten an award for anything like this in my whole life. I really wasn't all that active until almost a year ago. I wore the medal all day!

Also durring the chinese auction I won a gift bag of assorted items and a Keurig!!!

All and all I would call this a good day!

Next 5K I want to get the silver!

Replies

• WitchofWashington
    WitchofWashington Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That is a amazing, congratulations. That lady just had her panties in a bunch.
  • freyaheart
    Options
    That is a amazing, congratulations. That lady just had her panties in a bunch.

I'll agree with that :P
  • osewcute
    osewcute Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Forget silver. You go get the gold:)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!!

What place did the lady come in?
  • freyaheart
    Options
    Forget silver. You go get the gold:)

I would love that. I still am so lucky to have even placed. I wasn't expecting it at all.
  • freyaheart
    Options
    Congrats to you!!!

What place did the lady come in?

I have no idea. I didn't see her go up for a medal or anything.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Way to go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!