Importance of cardio when loosing fat

Options
124»

Replies

• RFC2549
    RFC2549 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cardio (I think specifically HIIT but would have to Google because I don't remember) helps reduce visceral fat. There was a study. That's the only specific fat loss benefit that I know of beyond helping with a deficit.

If the question were about maintenance, then I would argue that regular exercise is an essential part of keeping it off and would be backed up by the National Weight Control Registry. Still a CICO thing.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Its importance to me is just as another metric to see improvement. It helps build confidence and a sense of accomplishment to see my duration/stamina/speed/balance/proficiency improve. The scale does not always do that for me, but almost every time I get some cardio in, I always feel good.
    On a side note, as far as pure weight loss is concerned, I was probably at my heaviest when I was getting plenty of cardio. I just couldn't get my eating under control, so I would say it isn't essential for weight loss.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I think exercise is important. I know that you can lose weight by just controlling eating, but for me, I while started out with just weight loss as a goal, overall fitness and endurance ended up being just as important - and I'm definitely in the camp of exercising more to be able to eat more/create a deficit through exercise. I didn't want to be hungry and miserable and skinny. I'd rather be healthier, fitter, eating what I want and skinnier ... It's about finding an exercise you like though - I really enjoy walking and zumba ... and HIIT classes. If I don't enjoy an exercise I won't do it.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Your diet is to lose weight/gain weight/maintain weight. Exercise is for gaining muscle/retaining muscle/heart health. They are two separate things.

Exercising to burn calories so you can eat more is a path I don't recommend anyone walking down. Then exercise comes as a form of punishment because you ate too much, or reward because you want to eat more.

Yes and no. Thinking that you must do additional exercise because you feel you ate too much is a potentially dangerous mindset. Having a sustainable exercise routine that allows us to eat more is a necessary long-term maintenance tool for many people. I am under 5 feet tall and my maintenance calories are depressingly low if I don't exercise.

I hear you. Im 5 feet 2. My maintenance calories are 1400 or thereabouts. Exercise is great for me but it means I can eat like a regular normal persons calorie limit when I do so I do. Super easy for me to gain weight as you can see.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Personally cardio is important for me for health and fitness (and enjoyment!).

But for me at least when I want to lose weight/lose fat cutting 500cals from a high daily allowance due to my high volume exercise and high activity level is far easier than if I had to cut 500cals from a low exercise / sedentary activity eating level. In other words it's a positive for adherence reasons.

e.g. Cutting from 3000 to 2500 cals is far easier for me than if I had to do it from 2500 to 2000 cals. The first example wouldn't feel restrictive or affect my energy levels, the second would.