I am addicted

You don't realize how addicted you are to sugar. Help 🤪

Replies

• MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    I went cold turkey on chocolate, all fizzy and alcohol. It helped a lot in the long term although was hard at first. I had low calorie jelly lollies for the first month as a snack. Allowed myself a small packet a day.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited October 2019
    steeleme7 wrote: »
    You don't realize how addicted you are to sugar. Help 🤪

I'm no health professional, but your body can develop an addiction so you feel a need for more sugar. Try to focus hard for about 2-3 weeks straight of significantly limiting unnatural sugars so you can break that addiction/need.

It's tough, but you can do it!
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    I read this book I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook by Sarah Wilson and found it really interesting. Her theory is if you have enough fats in your diet, you won't crave sugar as much. I didn't realize how much 'hidden' sugar I was actually eating until I read this (ketchup, emergen-c packets, etc). I noticed that when I'm having a bad day, I want to turn to sugar. So now, when I want a chocolate bar, I go for a chocolate protein bar instead, that has way less calories and sugar, and that satisfies my sweet tooth!
  • steeleme7
    steeleme7 Posts: 28 Member
    I will look that book up this weekend 😁👍 thanks
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I've going through another book, The Food Addiction Recovery Book by Carolyn Coker Ross. It seems quite comprehensive. I think that you can't read it once and you are magically changed, you have to continue rereading it for a while.
  • steeleme7
    Looking for the books now
  • steeleme7
    edited November 2019
    Y'all should see my strong hairy man 💪 he is sexy as hell 😍
  • LargeBear1962
    LargeBear1962 Posts: 2 Member
    Was a binge-r, then had bariatric surgery, now anorexic- I *hate* eating.ugh. I only eat certain 'safe' foods now. I am 'under' my "goal weight' and a daily struggle to remind myself to eat...funny tidbit? former chef & cookbook author. I can NOT socialize around food, too scary.ugh.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    How do you know you are addicted to sugar? What are the signs and how do they differ from just craving sweet food?
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    How do you know you are addicted to sugar? What are the signs and how do they differ from just craving sweet food?

A simple test is how long can you go without it? How long do the cravings last, how many times do you get cravings? Can you go a month without it?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    What foods do you consider high "sugar"? Fruit and veggies? Or such things as cookies, cake, candy bars... ect? Two different things imho
  • psychod787
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Bigfoot doesn't believe in YOU either.

I am big foot.... lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Bigfoot doesn't believe in YOU either.

I am big foot.... lol

are you boasting? :lol:

So on the sugar thing, (herewegoagain) - I think there has to be "RULES." Each person has to find her own personal rules.

Some can eat sugary treats moderately.
    Some will eat everything in the vicinity once they start.

I've tried all kinds of moderation tricks and my bottom line is that in order to get enough protein and fat I have to limit carbs somewhat. The first thing(s) to go are sugary treats and wheat products. The don't leave me satiated, I'll keep eating moremoremoremore and soon find myself over my calories. I tried cutting them out completely but life is long and that just doesn't work for me long-term, so I have controlled amounts of my favorites like pie and ice cream on a semi-regular basis...say one time per week. The rest of the time I stay away from cookies and donuts and candies and other sugary treats.

Hate to brag... know what they say about a man with big feet right? Yeah, he spends a fortune on shoes! Lol.. no ma'am, I am not going to bite today. Until the media gives it a rest, noobies are going to keep believing the b.s..... most of us have been there.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Are you willing to give it up for life?
    I love carbs. I love food. Overeating caused me to become obese. Learning to moderate all foods led to losing over 1/2 my body weight. Gained back 50# because I ate too many calories. As humans, we have to eat. Is it an addiction?
    Key for me is learning moderation for life. As for so many people, losing isn’t the problem, it’s reverting back to poor eating habits. It’s never easy.
  • steeleme7
    Was a binge-r, then had bariatric surgery, now anorexic- I *hate* eating.ugh. I only eat certain 'safe' foods now. I am 'under' my "goal weight' and a daily struggle to remind myself to eat...funny tidbit? former chef & cookbook author. I can NOT socialize around food, too scary.ugh.

Bless your heart. I will pray for you sweetie 🙏