Horses Run INTO Burning Barns

Options
Did you know that horses will run back into their burning barns? They do it because it's a place where they USUALLY feel safe & secure, but obviously (to people anyway) if it's burning, it's no longer safe. They have actually been known to run their owners down to get back into the barn. Owners have to get them out, close the door, or block them in some way from getting back in.

So what does this have to do w/weight loss & getting healthy? A lot of people run back into burning barns/bad habits, because it's comfortable, when it's no longer healthy. When you have an emotional upset, do you run to eat more food than you should, instead of stopping when you've had enough? Do you keep running back into a burning barn of a destructive relationship, because you keep thinking of how it "used to be"? You're not a stupid animal, stop yourself when something becomes destructive...whether overeating, smoking, getting drunk, destructive relationships, whatever. Don't run back into a burning barn...YOU'RE the one who gets hurt.

I ended up printing the photo at this blog out & taped it to my fridge, to help me *THINK* about what I was really doing. It helped. Hope this story helps you too.

http://skylar-smythe.blogspot.com/2012/02/burning-barn.html

Replies

• sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow! How interesting and the perspective that puts on my surprise and decisions. Thanks for sharing!
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    honestly, probably the best look at bad habits i have ever seen. i will definitely "borrow" this from you.. i hope you don't mind.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Share away....my daughter works w/horses & when she told me about the burning barn thing, it just popped into my head that we can be like that. Glad it moved you. ;-)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Brilliant!