Any Training Peaks users have experience with WK04/WK05?

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
I recently heard about this tool and am wondering if it is useful to the average TP user, or if it requires too much time and study in order to deliver real training benefits? My new coach says he will use it for some athletes to do deep dive analysis, but it is very time consuming. I"m really just curious to know if anyone here has experience with the tool and if so, what your experience has been.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    loving training peaks, but it can take some time ot get used to - but i don't think it gives you much beyond what you would get from an in depth garmin data analysis etc - because it pulls data from different sources

my coaches have used it for posting my workouts and there is a good intel you can get - but the in depth analysis is a premium feature - so its an additional fee (I think $99 a year)
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Agree completely that TP is a fabulous software tool. For reference, I paid $10/month for TP when working with my previous coach.

I've been using TP for several years, and LOVE the trending info, especially the Performance Management Chart. That tool provides an easy to read visual trend map of your fitness, fatigue and ultimately "race readiness". I think the unique value is TPs scoring of each day's work out (training stress score) and how an athlete's rolling average provides a view of cumulative training load (fatigue) and building or declining fitness.

Every workout I did was posted in TP ahead of time and then my actual results uploaded automatically. We even created custom workouts that I downloaded to my bike computer for indoor trainer work.

With that said, I've just started reading a bit about Training Peaks WK04/05 product. Some coaches use it, but I've heard that it is very time consuming and some question whether "the insights derived from WKO4 are worth the effort" as opposed to just using plain old TP. In fact, my new coach offers it only as part of his highest tier coaching service. He suggested that using it and then pulling and analyzing the outputs take many hours of his time.

• deannalfisher
    Options
    could you ask him what the outputs for you would look like? he could blank out any identifying data from another client - or ask if you started with that, could you drop back if you don't mind its worth it?
  • Djproulx
    edited October 2019
    Options
    could you ask him what the outputs for you would look like? he could blank out any identifying data from another client - or ask if you started with that, could you drop back if you don't mind its worth it?

I could certainly do that, but don't think I'm there yet. I'm just doing some discovery at this point.

He has suggested that I start with a basic plan and we see how it goes. He went on to say that he typically doesn't need to use WK04 analysis unless we get far along in training and hit a wall that doesn't make sense when we look at normal TP data and compare it to subjective feedback from the athlete. My gut tells me that wouldn't occur until I'm much deeper into a training build, or get the IM bug again, and it might never be needed.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

I could certainly do that, but don't think I'm there yet. I'm just doing some discovery at this point.

He has suggested that I start with a basic plan and we see how it goes. He went on to say that he typically doesn't need to use WK04 analysis unless we get far along in training and hit a wall that doesn't make sense when we look at normal TP data and compare it to subjective feedback from the athlete. My gut tells me that wouldn't occur until I'm much deeper into a training build, or when i get the IM bug again, and it might never be needed.

FIFY ;) btw did you see Coeur d'alene is going ot have a IM again (going to alternate wiht St George from the looks of it)
  • Djproulx
    Options

He has suggested that I start with a basic plan and we see how it goes. He went on to say that he typically doesn't need to use WK04 analysis unless we get far along in training and hit a wall that doesn't make sense when we look at normal TP data and compare it to subjective feedback from the athlete. My gut tells me that wouldn't occur until I'm much deeper into a training build, or when i get the IM bug again, and it might never be needed.

FIFY ;) btw did you see Coeur d'alene is going ot have a IM again (going to alternate wiht St George from the looks of it)

Ha! No, I didn't see that. I've never been to Idaho and was always intrigued by Coeur D'alene. Looks like I'll need to blame you if I do something stupid. ;)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Agree completely that TP is a fabulous software tool. For reference, I paid $10/month for TP when working with my previous coach.

I've been using TP for several years, and LOVE the trending info, especially the Performance Management Chart. That tool provides an easy to read visual trend map of your fitness, fatigue and ultimately "race readiness". I think the unique value is TPs scoring of each day's work out (training stress score) and how an athlete's rolling average provides a view of cumulative training load (fatigue) and building or declining fitness.

Every workout I did was posted in TP ahead of time and then my actual results uploaded automatically. We even created custom workouts that I downloaded to my bike computer for indoor trainer work.

With that said, I've just started reading a bit about Training Peaks WK04/05 product. Some coaches use it, but I've heard that it is very time consuming and some question whether "the insights derived from WKO4 are worth the effort" as opposed to just using plain old TP. In fact, my new coach offers it only as part of his highest tier coaching service. He suggested that using it and then pulling and analyzing the outputs take many hours of his time.

I love the PMC. I'm a visual kind of person, and this makes it easy to see at a glance when and how much to taper before an event, etc.

For the record, you can get this from Golden Cheetah too.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Ha! No, I didn't see that. I've never been to Idaho and was always intrigued by Coeur D'alene. Looks like I'll need to blame you if I do something stupid. ;)

2021 just saying...your foot has 2 years to rehab
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @NorthCascades - The PMC is the best! I've never heard of Golden Cheetah. Will have to check it out.

@deannalfisher - I'm signed up for a 70.3 mile test drive in June, so that should tell me if the heel will tolerate IMCDA. Are you considering that race?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    @NorthCascades - The PMC is the best! I've never heard of Golden Cheetah. Will have to check it out.

@deannalfisher - I'm signed up for a 70.3 mile test drive in June, so that should tell me if the heel will tolerate IMCDA. Are you considering that race?

Yes