Hello, I'm Nana. Or that's my my grand and great grandkids call me.

I'm trying this because I've tried everything else and while I've always lost weight, I've gain it back (plus some). Hoping that this time, MFP will be the program I truly succeed to lose on and manage to keep the weight off and stick to eating in this way in the future.

I'm not real great in understanding the #'s. Can someone answer this for me... when I have calories left over, but I've gone over in maybe the carbs or fats or sugar or sodium - how does that affect my weight lose - or does it? I'm not fully understanding how that works. Should I just stay focused on the total calories and do my best to stay under the grams I'm allowed in the other areas - or worry about those grams as a hindrance for that day? Appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Replies

• iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    Some people keep track of, and assign limits to their carbohydrate , sodium, fats, etc, for various reasons . But for weight loss, calories are what matter. I recommend going through the guided setup, and let MFP determine a sensible calorie level for you. Welcome to My Fitness Pal.
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Cant_think_of_a_username Posts: 97 Member
    edited October 2019
    Total calories affect weight loss - so that's the most important number.
    It's best to try and eat a balanced diet (unless you're eating a specific way like keto) and the other macro numbers for fat/carbs etc can help you to achieve that.
  • NanasMission
    NanasMission Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks. I think that is what is really holding me back - worrying about the Carbs, Fat, Protein, Sodium etc.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    We call my grandma Nana too <3 Calories are the most important number- in vs out will create the weight loss. The other numbers which are basically macros I'd work on slowly tweaking over time. Focus on calories to start, then adjust choices as you notice patterns. If you're always over on sugar and under on fat for example, try swapping a high-sugar snack for a high-fat snack to move closer to your targets.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    In vs out is all that matters. I find it is easier if you eat everything moderation is the key for the long term. It's not a diet it's a life style change just remember those two things they go along why
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I’m 67 and here everyday for mutual support! Send me a friend request!
  • TrueGrit732
    TrueGrit732 Posts: 52 Member
    πŸ‘‹πŸΎ welcome Nana!
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Hi Nanna, Welcome to MFP, I've sent you a message. Good luck sweetheart! πŸ˜πŸ‘β€οΈπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ