Intermittent Fasting

Options
How are yalls experience with Intermittent Fasting and weight lost?... 1 Week or 2 week results?

Just curiouse. Im on my 3rd day.

Replies

• franceskelly807
    franceskelly807 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It has worked for me coupled with exercise.
  • haydee_cruz1
    haydee_cruz1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yea thats what Im doing. I heard its good results. How much did u lose in a week or so
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You'll always lose more weight faster at the beginning of any plan; some of that is water weight, which is why it slows down. But slow and steady wins the race, right?

I "do" 16:8, and a couple times a week, 18:6. The first week I lost almost two pounds and I was so psyched, like, at this rate I'll be at my goal weight lickety-split! Then the next week was half a pound, and that's more the normal amount to lose in a week.

Are you combining it with any other techniques? Low carb is a popular "blend" with IF.
  • haydee_cruz1
    Options
    Yea Iโ€™ve read that. Usually in any plans first weightnlost are water weight then the fat in its self. I was looking into the Keto Diet but I dont think I can sustain that for a long time. I saw intermitten fasting and it sounds interesting to me and it fits into my schedule. Im still working the quirks out but Im starting to like it. Just one day at a time and some exercise. Thats all.
    Im glad to hear ur doing good. Keep it up.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting isn't magic and doesn't inherently or directly have any impact on weight loss. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit regardless of how that deficit is achieved.

Intermittent fasting is just an eating schedule that some people find lets them more easily achieve the caloric deficit required for weight loss. I don't "do" IF as such but, since I'm rarely ever hungry during the day and usually find myself more inclined to eat at night I am able to stick to my calorie target much easier by not eating during the day thereby leaving the bulk of my calories for dinner. Some people call this IF, some call it OMAD (One Meal A Day). I call it "just what I do".

Same goes for Keto, Low Carb, Vegan and every other 'diet' or way of eating out there. If a certain meal timing, eating schedule, food group or macro split makes it easier for you to eat an appropriate amount of calories then that's the thing you should do.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been logging 2 months- I did 16:8 IF (breakfast 9 am, lunch 12, dinner 4:30-5pm) the first month and found it very helpful to stick to my calorie deficit. After the first month I didn't feel I really needed it anymore and it's also challenging when I get busy and need to finish my dinner by 5pm so I stopped and during the second month it has been fine doing a calorie deficit without IF. I noticed it has required a little more will power to not overeat at night and I have done some late night eating that made me go over for the day. I've been losing a pound a week.
  • haydee_cruz1
    Options
    @Dan Yess what works one person doesnt work for another. This really helps with the night snacks and eating. Thats what I love about this. Plus the fasting stages for long periods of times it creates Ketones which help break fats. So imagine that plus some exercise... I like it. It works for me so far. Im not ready for the other fasts yet. Hopefully I master this. Lol All depends on peoples schedule really. Keep doing what u do Mr. u are doing great. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ
  • haydee_cruz1
    Options
    @healingnurtrer Yea the nights sometimes its hard. When u at a social gathering and all. I did mine according to work. My hours of fasting are 3 till next day lol Next week Im thinking of changing it up to fasting till 11:30 or 12 then opening that window of eating from 12-9 pm
    So far its going good for me. You are so right one needs discipline in this lol. I like the flexibility of the IF tho.
  • fairytale_babe
    fairytale_babe Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do it because it's convenient, with exercise and calorie deficit
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @Dan Yess what works one person doesnt work for another. This really helps with the night snacks and eating. Thats what I love about this. Plus the fasting stages for long periods of times it creates Ketones which help break fats. So imagine that plus some exercise... I like it. It works for me so far. Im not ready for the other fasts yet. Hopefully I master this. Lol All depends on peoples schedule really. Keep doing what u do Mr. u are doing great. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ

Yeah, it doesn't quite work that way.

Ketosis just means your body has adapted to use fat that you eat as a source of fuel. Being fat adapted doesn't change the amount/rate/way your body uses it's bodyfat stores. It's like having a car that burns petrol to run, then you start putting diesel in your tank and your car is smart enough to go 'oh fair enough I'll just change to have a diesel engine then".

Person A who is eating 7 high carb meals in a day in a 1000cal deficit and person B who's fasted and in ketosis each day while maintaining a 1000cal deficit will both burn off/reduce (approx) 1lbs of bodyfat over the course of a week since the only thing that matters is calorie deficit.