Warm Snack Suggestions

Options
Guys, since the temperature has dropped into the 60’s (!!!!!!), I am freezing my *kitten* off. It seems like I can’t get warm, even with sweaters and fleece lined booties and lots of hot tea. Last winter, following the initial weight loss, was bad, but this one is starting off on all the wrong foot.

My usual snacks of icy smoothies and cottage cheese with chilled fruit are only exacerbating the problem.

Suggestions for tasty, healthy warm or hot low cal snacks?

Replies

• kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Baked apple with cinnamon is pretty tasty. I remember my mom making those with cinnamon and brown sugar. You could always omit the sweetener or use one you like.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Hot tea. I might also microwave a Quest bar if I want protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Here are some warm smoothies for you!
    1. The first has coffee (and Teeccino, and herbal coffee substitute, included only because I like the taste.)
    2. The second is a "gingerbread" smoothie so I use ginger tea for the liquid.

9104194c0ceffd1cc9154fa5bee7b4b5.png

Note: protein powder generally clumps if added directly to hot liquid so you have to let the liquid cool down a bit first or "temper" the PP with something else.
    • With the coffee smoothie, I mix the PP with the chia seeds and soaking water first.
    • With the gingerbread smoothie, I mixed everything else in the food processor and added the hot tea last.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Baked apple with cinnamon is pretty tasty. I remember my mom making those with cinnamon and brown sugar. You could always omit the sweetener or use one you like.

Yes I do this all the time! I cut up an apple, put a little sugar on it and some cinnamon and put in microwave for 1-1.5 minutes (depending on what type of apple I use).
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Hot tea. I might also microwave a Quest bar if I want protein.

I second the hot tea suggestion. Hot tea makes everything better. Even drinking plain warm or hot water throughout the day rather than cold water can help.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    How about a classic - soup. Lots of versions on the market that heat in the microwave.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 - I second the tea idea!

I also love soup when the weather gets cold!
    ✨ Warm vanilla chia pudding.
    ✨Egg muffins

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Sauteed apple. half pat of butter, peeled and sauteed in a stickproof skillet with a dash of cinnamon. In Summer, I'll add a peach to the mix. Squeeze of lemon will help caramelize the apple.
  • apullum
    Options
    Latingal19 wrote: »
    Brown rice cracker with low fat whipped garlic and herbs cream cheese. Warm it up for just a few seconds to get that toast and cheese feel.

That reminds me of these: https://sonomacreamery.com/collections/sonoma-creamery-cheese-crips-bars/products/sonoma-creamery-everything-cheddar-cheese-crisp-bar

110 calories for a package, and they're pretty rich, so I haven't wanted to overeat them. I'm not sure how they'd be warmed up, though.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    Brown rice cracker with low fat whipped garlic and herbs cream cheese. Warm it up for just a few seconds to get that toast and cheese feel.

That reminds me of these: https://sonomacreamery.com/collections/sonoma-creamery-cheese-crips-bars/products/sonoma-creamery-everything-cheddar-cheese-crisp-bar

110 calories for a package, and they're pretty rich, so I haven't wanted to overeat them. I'm not sure how they'd be warmed up, though.

Do you have a toaster oven? Just for a few seconds, or a toaster will do but be careful pre-made crackers could easily burn.
  • apullum
    Options

Do you have a toaster oven? Just for a few seconds, or a toaster will do but be careful pre-made crackers could easily burn.

No toaster oven, but I'm not sure if I'd want them warmed up myself. OP was just looking for warm snacks :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    I bought the small sweet potatoes from Trader Joe's and top with Greek yogurt and cinnamon.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    warm toast and butter, baked potatoes with toppings, bacon, grilled cheese sandwich, soups, bread with soup in the middle (bread bowl), pancakes/ waffles.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I bought the small sweet potatoes from Trader Joe's and top with Greek yogurt and cinnamon.

Also great with hummus.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I keep sachets of Cup-a-Soup or miso for when I need a hot, savoury 'drink'.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Tonight's snack was quick oatmeal cooked in the microwave with chopped prunes and some whole milk. Warm, creamy and satisfying.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like miso or hot and sour soup to warm me up!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I think I found a solution.
    zoc9c40smfni.jpeg

Seriously, thanks for the suggestions. Some of these are great. Keep ‘em coming!

I don't see any fleece-lined booties!

My philosophy is that no one should turn up the temperature or complain about the cold if their feet are not properly covered.

When my uncle visited, my mom turned up the heat for him and he was BAREFOOT.