Cooked/Uncooked Meat Question

Options
dmcforthewin
dmcforthewin Posts: 135 Member
edited October 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hi All! Can someone help me with this? I have just started weighing my meats uncooked, over cooked. I have been trying to look up all my meats to log and I always find them, but I can't get them to come up saying raw or uncooked. That's how I type it with the exact name. It's rare, that I find them saying if they are uncooked or not. Are the meats in the search log uncooked, if they don't say? I don't want to be over eating protein amounts. Thanks!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Include raw in the search. The better entries are the ones from the USDA, and raw or cooked will be part of their search string.

If you have package information, that will be raw unless it states otherwise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options
    If you are referring to the MFP database, all meat entries pulled from the USDA database will have raw or cooked. You can go to https://fdc.nal.usda.gov to get the exact syntax and then plug it into MFP.

Once you are familiar with the USDA syntax their database will be easier to use. For example "chicken, breast, raw" gave the results I wanted right away but "chicken, raw" did not.

7efce69a55fd3e144afc90a67404c4ab.png
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    Ok, thanks!
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Include raw in the search. The better entries are the ones from the USDA, and raw or cooked will be part of their search string.

If you have package information, that will be raw unless it states otherwise.

• dmcforthewin
    Options
    Thanks for the information!
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you are referring to the MFP database, all meat entries pulled from the USDA database will have raw or cooked. You can go to https://fdc.nal.usda.gov to get the exact syntax and then plug it into MFP.

Once you are familiar with the USDA syntax their database will be easier to use. For example "chicken, breast, raw" gave the results I wanted right away but "chicken, raw" did not.

7efce69a55fd3e144afc90a67404c4ab.png