Resting Heart Rate question

Options
Hi All

My resting heart rate according to my fitbit seems to be going up by 1bpm each day and I'm not really sure why as these past two weeks I've made positive changes to my eating and drinking...Monday it was 67, Tues and Weds 68, Thurs 69 and today 70.

I know fitness trackers are not 100% accurate but the pattern I normally see is it goes down day by day then as soon as I have wine at the weekend it goes up by around 2-4bpm then starts gradually going down again so my average usually around 67 bpm but this week despite cutting my wine intake down dramatically its gone up each day.

Should I be worried?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    If you're really worried by it, or have some medical context that makes it a potential concern, maybe you could call or email your doctor's office to ask about it?

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry, in the absence of any negative symptoms or pre-existing conditions.

I just looked at my monthly average resting heart rate - which theoretically would be more stable with constant routine than daily average RHR - and it's varied up and down from 50 to 57 over the last few months.

Minor variation is pretty normal, and can have many sources: Hydration, environmental temperatures, sleep, stress, nutrition, exercise, more. A couple of weeks of very gradual uptick doesn't seem very worrisome, within the normally healthy range.

Of course, if you develop any symptoms, or if it keeps climbing for weeks and hits abnormal levels, see your doctor.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is exercise involved in daily life - I don't see it mentioned?

Outside of known reasons - HR can also increase if body is attempting to fight something off.
    But usually that's seen as a spike one day for no other reason.
    Stress from exercise and lack of recovery can also cause slow increases.
    Sometimes life without exercise is stressful enough if missing sleep - and can result in small increases too.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    My HR fluctuates daily as well based on my Fitbit data. Sometimes it will jump due to overtraining when I need a rest day. Other times I notice a jump correlating to lack of sleep. My data over the last few months has a low of 52 and high of 61. The 61 definitely correlated to 4 consecutive heavy training days. I followed it with a rest day then recovery run the following day and it bumped back down to what is typical for me. I don’t stress about it too much but find the data very interesting.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Mine fluctuates with poor sleep. I have had sleep issues since I got sick as a teen and the worse the night, the higher the RHR! I actually bought my FitBit years ago specifically for the sleep tracking...
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm baffled by mine. It was in the low 50s, then i had a surgery. It gradually climbed up to 68 over next two weeks or so, stayed there for a while, now very slowly down to 63. I mean, i understand the correlation between the surgery and healing, pain, heart rate, but still.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I'm baffled by mine. It was in the low 50s, then i had a surgery. It gradually climbed up to 68 over next two weeks or so, stayed there for a while, now very slowly down to 63. I mean, i understand the correlation between the surgery and healing, pain, heart rate, but still.

Same way your temp may have gone up slightly and BMR.