Not getting enough water in....

Options
I'm wondering what all counts for water? Crystal light? Tea? I'm used to weight watchers and those things counted. i only have two-three carbonated beverages a week. It's not that I have a problem with the water but struggle to get the recommended amount of water in a day because I like the other things I drink also.

Secondly when I have some calories left I have no will power to not use them.....for a snack no less. I'm not hungry I just know I can have it without going over. Advise??

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have gotten out of the habit of drinking most things except tea and water. I typically have no problem drinking my 8 glasses, plus a glass of coconut water and sometimes milk too in the same day. To get your water in, you could try drinking a glass when you get up, one each before and after breakfast, lunch and dinner, and one before bed. Keep your bottle or cup with you all the time and refill it when it's empty.

I would count flavored waters and tea etc as your water. Keep in mind that 8x 8 oz glasses is merely a recommendation, not a hard and fast requirement for everyone. You also get a lot of water from food.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    It is actually good to get your daily calories intake so don't worry about it. Just snack on healthy foods. Tea does count and really good for you if you are drinking the right type. I'm not sure about crystal light.You should really stop drinking those other drinks because it is empty calories.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yes cyrstal light is water and tea in my opinion but I dont count my coffee!! as it gets cooler a broth and a hot tea would count as well!

Snacks!!!! Dont cha just love em?? make them count will getting a hit protein and fiber when you have those unspent cals staring ya right in the face :bigsmile:

peanut butter on celery

sliced apples with cheddar cheddar cheese slices

string cheese with turkey pepperoni (taste like pizza)

GNC Lean bars are great at 169 cals 15 gr protein and 10 gr fiber! the blueberry yogurt is killer!!

Good luck!!! xxx
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Everyone's opinions will vary. I think Crystal light counts as fluid intake. I also count unsweetened ice tea as fluid intake (which some people argue that because it's caffeinated it doesn't count), but if something has calories: sugar, fat, protein than it doesn't count towards water consumption.

If you have calories left over for the day, eat them. If you don't want to don't. It's all about personal preference. (The not eating them within reason of course!)
  • theresa0165
    theresa0165 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome.....thank you so much for all the advise. I feel so much better about using up all my calories. I really don't use them down to 0 but if I still have 2 or 3 hundred my thinking is ..."wow, I can have another snack" I know that isn't a good way to thing because if I'm not hungry, Why eat? Thank you sunitagt on water advise. I don't leave home with out a mug of water. My challenge is to fill it back up when I'm finished and drink more!

I was so skeptical of this site after using another. I miss a few things about it but it didn't not have a support system like MFP and that seems to out weigh it all.

Gentle Hugs everyone
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It's not easy for me to drink water either, but my nutritionist told me not to sip it, but to gulp it down, and I've found it's so much easier! Now I do 20 oz with my morning thyroid medicine, (you could do that with vitamins!), then another at breakfast, lunch and dinner, and one when I work out.

Now it's easy to drink the water I need!
  • Dechant63
    Options
    I pretty much only drink water. 1 gallon a day is my goal. If you're having trouble I recommend getting a Nalgene since it's measured out and you can keep track easily.
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to these drinks called sparkling Ice. It's flavoured water . All nutritional info is 0. I think of it as water even though it is an
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Indulgence:bigsmile: . Sorry, having problems with complete sentences obviously
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This may be TMI, but if you're worried about your water intake - just watch your urine color. If it's darker than light lemonade (watch your first morning urine, it's normally your darkest), it means it's concentrated and you need to drink some water - as long as it is slightly tinted to the light lemonade color, you are properly hydrated, and should only worry about drinking if you are thirsty, active, or in the heat. If your urine is clear - no color to it at all, you're drinking water for not - you are over hydrated and should lay off until your urine gets some color back (should only take a few trips to the bathroom) because the water is doing nothing but passing straight through and not be used for filtering. The 8 glasses a day is only a guideline, not written in stone. Some people don't need as much, and others need a lot more.

As far as your calories go, it's okay to be 100 calories under or over your goal - just try not to dip too far under your calorie goal (like 200+ under, unless you've exercised...some don't eat their exercise calories back, some do...different theories) because then you have to wonder about if you are getting proper nutrition. If you do have calories to use for a snack, just make sure to make a healthy choice - you won't feel guilty and your body will thank you!
  • theresa0165
    theresa0165 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1. To MamaDuckN2Mam, not TMI heard all about it on Dr Oz before and believe it or not I'm pretty aware most days. It's good to look, lol. I do think I need a little more because of the extra fiber I'm taking in right now, Things are balancing if you know what I mean.
    2. To eahill4, I've had it. Love it. Pick up a few every now and then at Wal Mart. I noticed on my last trip to Sam's a large case is a good savings. I had meet my budget already but looking forward to getting it that way next time. I like to have it with special things like popcorn or a boring sandwich. Kind of satisfy's that carbonation crave.