Squat Form Question

So I researched to ensure proper form and came across an article stating squats should be "*kitten* to the grass," i.e. thighs below parallel to the ground. With my 25% and 50% max weight squats I can accomplish this, however at 100% I can only get to parallel.

Question; is this a form cheat? If so should I lower my 100% until I can match form throughout all sets?

I'm running All-Pros if it matters.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Going *kitten* to grass is a myth of best way to squat. Not that it isn't used successfully by some, but generally it takes weight off the barbell for the majority.

Parallel or just below is easily considered the most optimal if we are talking putting the most weight on the barbell.

Adding also if you high bar squat its more common to be able to bury depth compared to a low bar.

Question why are you training at 100%?

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Thanks for the insight.

As far as 100%, it's not 1RM, it's 10RM. All-Pros is a progressive overload program. It's more complicated than this, but basically you do 8 reps of your 10rm, deload, then do 9 reps, deload, up to 12 reps. Then you increase the weight if successful and start back at 8.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Thanks for the insight.

As far as 100%, it's not 1RM, it's 10RM. All-Pros is a progressive overload program. It's more complicated than this, but basically you do 8 reps of your 10rm, deload, then do 9 reps, deload, up to 12 reps. Then you increase the weight if successful and start back at 8.

I'm not talking 1RM, I was referring 100% of any max since that would be exhausting the muscles :smile: .

That is starting at 74% while your technique and hopefully strength increases. In the meantime your e1rm or e10rm would grow. Which seems more appropriate than 100%.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member

Thanks for the insight.

I'm not talking 1RM, I was referring 100% of any max since that would be exhausting the muscles :smile: .

That is starting at 74% while your technique and hopefully strength increases. In the meantime your e1rm or e10rm would grow. Which seems more appropriate than 100%.

That is correct. Because the program is structured with warm up lifts at 25% 10rm and 50% 10rm it's simply easier from a terminology and programming standpoint to use those reference points, but it can be confusing to talk about if someone's not familiar with the program.

Regarding squat form, I spoke with a guy that's been a consultant of All-Pros for years and he agreed;

""full knee flexion". You can tune your depth by widening or narrowing your stance. Your goal is "just below parallel", any thing lower is all *kitten* and wont help much for leg growth because it will require a lighter weight. We are not doing ATG squats that olympic lifters use. We are doing high bar power lifting squats. So power lifting rules apply. "hip crease is below top of quad", that is all we are after. So if you cant do that lower the weight till you can."
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    It's really much more simple find your optimal depth and repeat it! Just make sure the basic positions are good like hands shoulders head sound elbows and don't flare knees.

If you need more depth you can always hop on over to the reverse leg press and get more depth to fire the quads and hams

Also width of feet is different for everyone some lifters get spasms when too narrow (myself included)

• jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Parallel, or 'break the plane' is a power lifter 'rule'.
    Your legs were designed to bend and straighten - all in to all out. In the states, some obese and sedentary people 'decided' that couch deep is enough 😂 but pretty much everywhere else on the world people actually LITERALLY sit on their heels (its natural).

Yes, drop the weight a bit. If you're used to squatting, it'll take a bit to get used to the new motion but the improved strength will come pretty quickly.
    BONUS - likely increase flexibility, since you wont be JUST shortening the quads and hams.