Squat Form Question - All-Pros

Options
So I researched to ensure proper form and came across an article stating squats should be "*kitten* to the grass," i.e. thighs below parallel to the ground. With my 25% and 50% squats I can accomplish this, however at 100% I can only get to parallel.

Question; is this a form cheat? If so should I lower my 100% until I can match form throughout all sets?

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    It depends. If you intend to compete in powerlifting hitting the correct depth is important. But you don’t need to go *kitten* to grass just slightly below parallel. There’s a few powerlifters here who can advise if you want to post a video of yourself squatting.

I’m not a competitive powerlifter so I’m not too concerned if I don’t hit they depth every time.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you intend to compete in powerlifting hitting the correct depth is important. But you don’t need to go *kitten* to grass just slightly below parallel. There’s a few powerlifters here who can advise if you want to post a video of yourself squatting.

I’m not a competitive powerlifter so I’m not too concerned if I don’t hit they depth every time.

I'm more concerned with hypertrophy. My current form would probably meet powerlifting standards, but I can go deeper with less weight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    *kitten* to grass won't get you a more optimal hypertrophy response by itself compared to a full ROM at or just below parallel.

I would consider many other options if that is your goal.