How often do you change your macros?

Options
Djhfjy
Djhfjy Posts: 10 Member
Do u change ur macros everytime you lose 2-3 pounds or everytime you lose 10-20 pounds?

When should I change my macros to adjust to weight loss?

Replies

• sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Your macros shouldn't have anything to do with weight loss. Calories do.

I don't move my macros at all. The 50/30/20 that MFP recommends for me works best in my eating habits and feels natural to me, so I stick with that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed my macros for 4 years.
    You need to change your calories as you go, that's what determines your deficit and therefore your weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The site should prompt you to change your Goals every ten pounds, I think.

Macros percentages don't need to change, just calories. Unless you are you talking about specific grams of Protein, Carbs and Fats? I just use percentages. It's easier, it's close enough and the site will do that part for me when I change calories.

If you are using specific grams then you will want to recalculate your macros as well, I guess. I would do that every time I changed calories, in that case.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Your calories change, but your macro percentages do not need to change.

Of course, if you change calories, then the number of grams of protein, fat, etc. that you're targeting will change, but the percentage is still the same.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Never change macros. I don't care about them.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    OP if you are happy with the macro ratio that MFP gave you, stick with it, other wise go and change them. It is your journey. Some people cares more about macros than calories, others not so much.

My macros are 35% P and C, and 30% F. I changed them few years ago (I am in stable maintenance) when I realized that MFP carbs ratio was too high for my way of eating and it made me bloated, and it didn't give me enough protein and fat to feel full and happy.

I should have use this ratio when I was losing, but I don't remember MFP ever changing my calories; it's something that I do on my own as needed. On the other hand, I only had 14lbs to lose so maybe the system thought that it was not needed.