Eating protein instead of carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I might use the term wrong too. I think of a craving as something that is persistent for more than a day. It is usually something nostalgic, something I have not had in awhile, or something different. I consider everything else whims that I may decide to satisfy or I may choose to ignore.

I add treat food into my weekly diet as a matter of course. I do not have to crave it in advance. I feel like maintaining a decent balance keeps me from craving it and then potentially eating too much of it. I find it better if I do not place so much emphasis on my food most of the time.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I eat what I crave. Never understood the sense in denying yourself what you want.

If I feel like pasta then a steak's just not gonna cut it and chances are I'll end up wanting (and potentially eating) the carbby food I'm looking for as well.

That doesn’t work so well for me as a diabetic.

I’ve found that eating fewer carbs I crave carbs less (which makes sense from a medical standpoint, since high blood sugar leads to big blood sugar swings, and thus, more cravings.)

A craving is definitely more than just a want. When I was first diagnosed I wanted to cry at the smell of bread.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I don't really get cravings, if I do I try to eat veggies and drink water. I try to eat protein at every meal but I don't really avoid carbs. I just aim for about 25% protein intake, it seems to work for me.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I eat what I crave. Never understood the sense in denying yourself what you want.

If I feel like pasta then a steak's just not gonna cut it and chances are I'll end up wanting (and potentially eating) the carbby food I'm looking for as well.

That doesn’t work so well for me as a diabetic.

I’ve found that eating fewer carbs I crave carbs less (which makes sense from a medical standpoint, since high blood sugar leads to big blood sugar swings, and thus, more cravings.)

A craving is definitely more than just a want. When I was first diagnosed I wanted to cry at the smell of bread.

I was responding to the original topic of eating protein in order to deal with craving carbs.

Of course if there's a legitimate reason then it's not about craving. If I was allergic to shellfish and peanuts then no craving in the world is going to make me order at prawn peanut satay dish.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I think of a craving as something that is persistent for more than a day. It is usually something nostalgic, something I have not had in awhile, or something different. I consider everything else whims that I may decide to satisfy or I may choose to ignore.

I add treat food into my weekly diet as a matter of course. I do not have to crave it in advance. I feel like maintaining a decent balance keeps me from craving it and then potentially eating too much of it. I find it better if I do not place so much emphasis on my food most of the time.

Agree with all of this.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I might use the term wrong too. I think of a craving as something that is persistent for more than a day. It is usually something nostalgic, something I have not had in awhile, or something different. I consider everything else whims that I may decide to satisfy or I may choose to ignore.

I also typically think of it as a desire that lasts for a while. My strong desire for lamb the week before Easter, for example, was about anticipating that meal.

And for me it's usually a specific taste. One thing that was helpful when I was losing was that I'd want a food and deconstruct what specific taste I wanted and find a way to do it for fewer cals. I often crave spicy and found that I could create the tastes I wanted for few cals.

I don't understand the concept of craving something so varied as "carbs." If I had a "carb" craving I'd be happy and eat carrots or berries or some such. It's always more specific for me.

Similarly, I don't really crave "sweet." The closest thing is that when it's hot I do kind of crave sweet and juicy and fruit is perfect for that, but for me that's a very different desire than for chocolate (which is rare) or ice cream -- and my cravings for non fruit sweets are very rare.

I get salt cravings to some extent, but there are tons of foods (high and low cal) that work for that. And often a desire for a high cal food is more about easiness and hunger, so I often find -- as mentioned above -- that something low cal but strong tasting like a pickle can work.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Would that have been the case if you didn't feel you had to cut out bread?